Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i attempted to fillet a fish, butchered one. My dad showed me another and i butchered it. So i was wondering in anyone here has a few techniques that may help me.

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
I think the hardest thing to get ues to is only cut when you draw the knife towards you.  Do not cut when you move the knife forward, no sawing motion.  Also make sure the knife is sharp.
Practice Practice and Practice... Catch stockers they are great practice.

D

·
0 Posts
hunterfishercamper said:
So i attempted to fillet a fish, butchered one. My dad showed me another and i butchered it. So i was wondering in anyone here has a few techniques that may help me.
Watch the "Fillet Video" from Neal/CO's post at http://www.coloradofisherman.com/forum/index.php?topic=4955.0

Although it deals specifically with fillieting stripers (and wipers) the techniques are generally similar for other species as well. Invest in a good fillet knife and keep it sharp. Then practice, practice, practice.

·
Registered
862 Posts
yea these guys are right....I used to work at a fish market in NY and probably had to fillet over 100 fish a day as my job was to gut and cut whatever the customer wanted...like they said a sharp fillet knife is definitely a key factor and never use a sawing action like epic said thats where you sharp knife comes in...also another thing I used to go by was I guess what would be there back bone kinda use it as a guide and rest the knife on that on follow it all the way through the fish then flip fish over and repeat let me see if I can find a video for ya....the video Don posted on here is a good one but ill see if i can find another one also as there area few different techniques...and like everyone else said practice practice practice....you will butcher a few learning but hey what can ya do

·
Registered
862 Posts
here ya go excellent site I found right here on the top of the page you will see the different categories of fish as there are different methods for different species of fish so on the top of the page click on whatever it is that you want to fillet and scroll down to almost the bottom of the page and for each fish species there is a different video to watch so enjoy and good luck!!
http://www.fishontario.com/articles/filleting-fish/trout.html

·
Registered
935 Posts
If you can't easily shave with your fillet knife, it ain't sharp enough.  If you can shave, but you feel hairs pulling, it's barely sharp enough.  Razor sharp is best - so you might also want to invest in one of the cut resistant gloves, so you don't fillet your fingers.

For trout and salmon, I find that you get more meat if you gut the fish, then cut each fillet (including ribs) off the backbone.  Then, cut the ribs off the fillets - you can make some really nice looking fillets this way. 

For Walleye and various other warmwater fish, I fillet something like the video referred to above that was posed by Neal/CO for striper.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts