Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I go fishing alot to the air force academy and every time I go I see HUGE carp and they swim in groups. I have tossed some powerbait and lures at them but I know that wouldnt work just gave it a try. So what should I ue to lure in some big carp? flies, lures, stink bait, liver, etc...
Thanks

·
Registered
699 Posts
bread man bread aswekk as corn homemade dough baits and cricket patterns when the time comes

·
Registered
35 Posts
..as a kid I would buy (have my mom buy) a loaf of bread, get one piece, rip off the crust, wet it (just a little), and make a dough ball. Place the dough ball on a #1 or #2 hook, then I would fish it off a pier, with a bobber, or on the bottom. I would catch many carp an the occasional catfish. It was fun and easy, also a great idea for taking a kid fishing......but hold on to your pole.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
This months Field and Stream has a section on carp on the fly and I learned some things I didn't know. Those carp you see cruising in schools aren't necessarily feeding and may not take anything you throw at them. If you see a bunch snout down, tails up, they are on the hunt for food. Thow a fly (wooly bugger, crayfish imitation, whatever) near then and twitch it so a fish notices it. Let it hit the bottom and keep it still until the fish comes close. Then twitch it again and hang on. I tried it just like the article said and I had some success.

G

·
khabibulin said:
Thanks guys I think tomorrw I will try all of those ideas. Hope to get one
Khabibulin - just as an fyi - I've been noticing the carp are spawning at the moment in different lakes. If that's the case, you might be disappointed in the catchin'. If you aren't successful tomorrow, give it a week or two and try again.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
288 Posts
khabibulin: For more information on carping, try and google the following: "hair rig", "carp bait recipe", and "boilie recipe". These will turn up primarily sites from the U.K. where carp fishing is akin to LM bass fishing here. These guys know their stuff. Also, there is a pretty good carp fishing website called www.royalcarp.com. My favorite way to fish for carp is this: Get a nice stout rod, outfit it with a zebco 606 reel w/20# line. slip an egg sinker on the line and then tie a barrel swivel on the end. Tie another 1.5 feet of leader to the other end of the swivel and attach a size 1 hook. thread canned sweetcorn on the hook. Now, when you get to your carping place, throw a few handfulls of corn out into the water and then toss your rig among your chum. Sit down and have a "beverage" and hang on. the carp will soon be vacuuming up corn in the area and will eventually hit the one with a hook.

G

·
Kitchenmonkey said:
throw a few handfulls of corn out into the water and then toss your rig among your chum.
Chumming is illegal in Colorado - if you do as described above, you run the chance of getting a ticket in Colorado (as well as losing some tackle).

·
Registered
26 Posts
I use sweet corn, but no chumming-not needed if the carp are in a feeding mood. If you don't get bites in 10 minutes, move to a different spot. I like 2-4' water, seems like there is more food there for the carp.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I watched a guy having great success in catching huge carp in PA. He was using a mix of Pepsi (NO DIET HERE),and Wheaties,making a marble size dough ball (fresh for each cast).I never saw any one catch so many big carp as this guy did,or as fast.He was using two poles and was busy as all get out.He said some days they prefer Coke in the mix.I don't know if he was pulling my leg or not,but I watched him make the Pepsi balls.
Carp are smart feeders,at times,but I never saw anything like this.
The most success I've had has been with a small minnow threaded on a wide gap hook so that it is a almost complete circle.I use this to catch carp for catfish bait.Works well enough to get one in the evening for the night time cat fishing.

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
Corn works well but when I was a poor little kid, this was my rig: Lime green, closed reel Zebco with a five foot rod that was spooled by the factory along with a size #4 hook (no sinker or bobber). I would throw out some bread (make sure you're not by any ducks or geese) and watch for large V's headed toward the bread. Once the carp start sucking down the bread, I threw out my line with a piece of bread (not balled up, just tear it off so that it will float along with the hook) and.....HOLD ON!!!!!! Make sure you set the drag because the carp is going to be flying!

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Jerkbaits-I've had a bunch hit on sus. jerks.

·
Registered
219 Posts
BOJON123 said:
I watched a guy having great success in catching huge carp in PA. He was using a mix of Pepsi (NO DIET HERE),and Wheaties,making a marble size dough ball (fresh for each cast).I never saw any one catch so many big carp as this guy did,or as fast.
I used to bother an old guy in Ohio when I was a kid, who did the same thing, except he said it had to be Kroger's strawberry soda and he put some vanilla extract in the mix. I used to beg him for his carp bait and we'd catch one after another.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
WOW looks like I have alot of idea to try.... Do carp fight as hard as any other fish here in colorado? My guess is I will be in shock when that thing bites my bait. It must be a hell of a fight if you are using flies considering that fly reels have very little drag.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
I have an 8 weight. When they take the bait, I bash my knuckles on the reel. As far as bait, I just picked up some Powerbait brand carp bait. I'll give it a try, but it smells really strawberryish. Although I usually use my fly rod, I use dough bait most of the time.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts

Actually carp are not great fighters pound for pound, it's just that an average fish will be 8-10 pounds.  They're lots of fun to catch because they're big and so available.  If you ever catch an 8 pound Rainbow or a 5 pound Smallmouth, you'll know what a real fight is!  Carp rarely jump when hooked, but they will make a number of powerful runs.  If you hook a 20 pounder you'll be in for a serious tussle.  

A couple tips:  carps' mouths are relatively small -- don't use a big hook.  The doughball or ather bait doesn't have to be big either.  In the past (years ago) I'd use a small treble hook (size 8 or 10?) with a spring on the shaft to hold the dough bait.  You can also mix some cotton in with your dough bait to help hold it together.  I'd use no weight at all.  If that wouldn't work, I'd go withe the slip rig someone else was describing -- carp will drop baits quickly if it doesn't feel right.  To avoid snags and break-offs, I'd try to find an area without a lot of wood.  

Don't even think of eaten' 'em.  Considering where carp live and how they feed, it's just not a good idea!  

Have fun!  

D  

·
Registered
288 Posts
carp don't fight well? I must have been hooking into the wrong species then, cause all of the carp I've ever hooked fought like mad. I would say carp fights are second only to smallmouth bass in fight.

Carp can also be fine eating. Like the post said, you must consider where they live and what they eat. If that is so, why do catfish, who have the same tendencies and eat way worse things, taste so good?

There was a restaurant in Omaha that served Carp and buffalofish very well. Besides bieng a little bony, the meat was pretty tasty. PM me for carp recipes.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts