Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
24,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody have any thoughts?...I have caught them accidently while fishing big rainbow rapalas for trout...any off the the wall ideas?...I have a friend and his son going up there this Saturday...

Thanks!

·
Banned
487 Posts
I would recommend jointed rapalas or zoom super flukes in white. Just ignore the signs and release the pike.

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
Don't ignore the signs! Please keep small pike if they have any meat on their bones. There actually shouldn't be that many this year? There is nothing for small Pike to eat except Damsel flies! If you do start catching the swimming green skeletons, do them a favor and the lake and put them out of their misery!

Actually something that looks like a small Pike would be a great choice. A black 6" Sluggo works well. Actually any kind of Fluke or soft plastic in black works well. If the water is flat, a black Buzzbait works also. I also caught a few last year on 5" swimbaits. Black Flipping jigs with an Uncle josh 4" Porker swimmed along slowly have really worked well at 11-Mile the last two years and should work at Spinney as well?

I fish the flats this time of year over on the north side by the Heron Rookery. You have to wade out a ways, but go slowly and quietly they are very shallow this time of the year. If you are in a boat? This same area drops off into the channel a couple hundred yards off where the South Platte channel swings up against those same flats. It drops from about eight feet deep to almost 20 feet. There is a distinct weed wall along this drop. Run or troll your baits along this wall also. The west side has several points and flats that always have fish also and they don't get as much pressure!

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
If you do goto 11-Mile it is a different story! It is a balanced fishery, where Pike and trout have coesisted for forty years. If you catch small pike there and don't want to eat them, then let them go. I don't agree with managing both lakes the same way.

Eric/CO posted a picture of a 11-Mile Pike he caught last week. It was about 25" and looked nice and healthy to me! There are plenty of small trout, crawfish and carp minnows to support the pike there.

·
Banned
487 Posts
Neal is right to harvest the small skinny pike at spinney. But if you catch a healthy looking one, please do us all a favor and release it. Pike and trout can coexist there. It's all a matter of balance.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts