Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
You'd have to start with city hall... go to a meeting and see how they react to the idea.

·
Registered
24,511 Posts
I could nearly drown trying to trailer my boat with only an electric motor in heavy wind driven boat ramp cross waves and have the lawsuit settlement be actual boat docks <heavy dripping sarcasm>...upon my death from trailering my boat I would only ask they name the dock after me and erect a sign (it would give PuebloGoldenWiperMan a sign to mark his territory on!...I can hear him say..."hey Zman here comes the rain...got your Goretex on?")...they have every other safety instrument known to man out there including nerf rip rap so you dont fall down and hurt yourself <more sarcasm>...12,000 feet of dock around their only boat...the Florida Keys Marina doesnt have that that much dockage <additional sarcasm>...a big pull up and wee wee dock for Biff and Buffy Sailerset who moor (sp?) their boats there <guess what...more sarcasm>...

HEY AURORA RESERVOIR...WAKE UP...INSTALL SOME ACTUAL BOAT RAMP DOCKS!!!...

And yes I know it would change the ramp from 4 lanes to 3 but people would be in and out of there quicker if they didnt actually have to fight the wind and everything else...and besides think of the additional kids you would have to holler at..."hey you kids...NO FISHING FROM THE BOAT RAMP DOCKS!" <final sarcasm>...

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Zman, LOL, so it's that hard to get them to listen. I was thinking if Colorado Fisherman magazine (or a group like that) respresenting Colorado fisherman, with it's subscriber base, would write a letter to Aurora City Hall, maybe something would happen. AARP does it all the time.
Surely they have to know that we pay their fees and launching a boat there is a real hassle. Maybe we could get it on the November ballot as a Referendum  ;)

R

·
0 Posts
Try Quincy if you like a good fishing experience. Aurora park rangers act like wannabe police officers, and there's nothing I hate worse than being asked 50 times for my fishing license when all I want to do is fish.

·
Registered
7 Posts
ronniefish30 said:
Try Quincy if you like a good fishing experience. Aurora park rangers act like wannabe police officers, and there's nothing I hate worse than being asked 50 times for my fishing license when all I want to do is fish.
ronnie...I hate to break it to you, but they are the same rangers.

As for the dock, I asked last year. They said they had one in the middle of the ramp in the 90's but people kept backing into it. I asked why have a dock off to the side 30 yards towards the swimarea? They said that the end of the ramp bubbles out and they can not drive posts into the concrete. I asked about the side toward the other beach, and the ranger said that people who need to wade their vessels (hobbie cats, etc) from the beach onto the trailer could not do so with the dock there.

·
Registered
9,266 Posts
jobsecurity said:
ronnie...I hate to break it to you, but they are the same rangers. 
LoL, Thats so true!!! I hate to say this but if you look like you know what your doing they wont bother you at either place. Ive fished on the dam at Aurora and watched the ranger ID bpth people on either side of me and just pass me up, Same w/ the Q. Jokes on them, I dont know what im doing :) :)

[me=Jay_In_Parker] [/me]

·
Registered
459 Posts
Guys...it IS Aurora...gotta give those Rangers a break, probably aren't paid enough for the people they deal with. Not everyone is an actual sportsman that goes there...unlike us Coloradofisherman! ;)

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If we can't get a dock at Aurora can anybody educate me. I have a 16 foot boat with a bow mounted trolling motor. I sometimes go fishing alone. What is the best way to get it in the water and back on the trailer by myself. So far I've tried a few things but nothing has worked very well. I'm over 50 and doing things like dangling over the side trying to step onto the trailer isn't that easy for me. Any ideas other than getting very wet?

·
Registered
67 Posts
FishEyes said:
Any ideas other than getting very wet?
Here's how I deal with it at Aurora.  I keep a rope tied to the bow that is maybe 30 ft in length.  I tie the other end to my bumper prior to launching.  Once the boat is in the water, and I have driven a few feet back up the ramp, and hopped out of my vehicle,  the boat will have floated out for the length of the rope.  I then untie the rope from the bumper, walk over to the ramp, then pull the boat over and tie it up so I can go park the vehicle. 

When I leave I always tie up at the dock.  If the water is cold or I just don't feel like getting wet, I put on a pair of hip waders, and back the trailer into the water.  I then go to the dock and grab the rope, hop in the water near the shore, and work the boat over to the ramp and on the trailer.  This really sucks on a windy day as the boat usually wants to go anywhere except the trailer. If you don't have trailer guides, get some. It was the best money I have ever spent on the trailer.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Smokin' Koke,,,, that's about what I've been trying. I haven't used the hip boots though. One day when the wind was blowing I was almost waist deep trying to get it turned onto the trailer. What a pain compared to backing up next to a dock. I made myself some trailer guides, that should help but in the wind it will still be tough.
Any other methods from the Aurora regulars? 

(those rocks along shore between the dock and the ramp can cause some damage :( if trying to walk it over in the wind)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts