Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the best way to keep minnows alive for more then a couple days? I have an aerator and change the water every couple days but they still don't last long.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
I always throw the bucket in the back fridge, change it with straight tap water if it gets dirty. Lil bastards last for weeks like that.

·
Registered
2,779 Posts
Don't use TAP WATER... unless, you treat it with "de-clor"
It takes the chlorine out of tap water...
And... Keep em as COLD as you can.

·
Registered
6,684 Posts
I keep them for long periods of time right in my living room. LOL (I am sure my wife just loves it)

Ive had trouble in the past so I kinda worked out a method that seems to work for me.

I always have 2 5 gallon buckets... One with the minnows and one with fresh water.

I fill the bucket without minnows with water and add a few drops(per directions on bottle) of water conditioner I buy from Walmart.

I always let the bucket sit overnight in the same area as the minnows so it gets to the same temperature.

I find at first you need to swap the water more often due to the feces(They feed them lol) After a couple changes you can wait longer between as long as you pull any dead ones out as soon as you see them.

I dont feed them at all.. If you feed them you will need to change the water pretty often.

Just my .02 so whatever thats worth with inflation.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Don't use TAP WATER... unless, you treat it with "de-clor"
It takes the chlorine out of tap water...
And... Keep em as COLD as you can.
I hear that often, but i have never killed a single minnow with tap water.

·
Registered
6,684 Posts
I hear that often, but i have never killed a single minnow with tap water.
Really? Where you live? Do you let it sit out for a while before you use it?

I only used untreated tap water once(Littleton) and the minnows all died.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
I live downtownish. Tap water has never been an issue. Even had a couple gold fish last like 6months before nephew killed them and tap water was used to change water every few days. The fridge helps big time. Warm temp kills those simple bastards quick.

·
Registered
443 Posts
I keep mine in the garage, which definitely has cool temps. I just use my insulated minnow bucket with an air pump/airstone I bought at the pet store. I change around 75% of the water every two days by dumping it out and adding tap water that's been sitting in the garage to reach the same temp. I use "AmQuel Plus" every time I add new water which removes chlorine and also removes ammonia (builds up from fish waste).

I never feed em: 1)It reduces waste and ammonia. 2)They don't need it because at lower temps, their metabolism is WAY down.

Very few of them die, and I've kept them for several weeks between trips this way.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I only use minnows in winter,they last for weeks in my garage when temps stay low.I always put a few gallons of lake water in my 5 gallon bucket.

·
Registered
469 Posts
I keep them in my garage and add snow water every few days. They last at least a couple of weeks and by then I have to buy some new ones.

·
Banned
553 Posts
You think minnows are hard to keep alive. Try 6 months with one of these

1 - 13 of 13 Posts