Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that sounds pretty contradicting, fishing boat smelling like fish and all, but I really struggle with my boat smelling like fish days even weeks after I go fishing. After every trip at the end I clean the boat and scrub it and use a wet vac, but even after that I can smell fish. I have a feeling that it is me handling catfish on a certain part of my boat and the catfish slime gets on the rug and dries into it, this past trip over memorial day I braught up a shallow 2 ft plastic container than I was going to set the catfish it while I remove the hooks, but I had my worst catfishing trip in 2 years out there so I really didn't get to see if it worked. So what do you guys do to keep your boats Un-Fishy??

·
Registered
4,744 Posts
Don't ever have that problem with the deck carpet, but if the livewells get fishy I flush them with a bit of dish soap and they smell better than one of Golden Rods llama's after he's shampoo'd them with Paul Mitchell Shampoo #1 with Apuahi Conditioner.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I mean my boat already smells skunky for reasons the majority of this forum disagrees with ;D But I truly think it has to be the catfish slime, when I fish for walleye or whatever else I don't usually get the same smell, Its much more noticeable when I fish for cats, but at the same time my boat stays in a garage at lake mac for quite a while between trips so the smell kinda gets trapped in there. I think the plastic container idea will make a difference in the future when I don't have a shitty trip, I have noticed multiple times hardened pieces of carpet due to dried catfish slime. My livewell doesn't usually get to bad, because up until this season I have hardly ever kept any fish to eat (which would make more sense I guess as to why my carpet smells because the fish spend more time on it for pictures and such), it was usually just minnows in it

·
Registered
3,172 Posts
I mean my boat already smells skunky for reasons the majority of this forum disagrees with ;D But I truly think it has to be the catfish slime, when I fish for walleye or whatever else I don't usually get the same smell, Its much more noticeable when I fish for cats, but at the same time my boat stays in a garage at lake mac for quite a while between trips so the smell kinda gets trapped in there. I think the plastic container idea will make a difference in the future when I don't have a shitty trip, I have noticed multiple times hardened pieces of carpet due to dried catfish slime. My livewell doesn't usually get to bad, because up until this season I have hardly ever kept any fish to eat (which would make more sense I guess as to why my carpet smells because the fish spend more time on it for pictures and such), it was usually just minnows in it
Gotta think of your boat as your balls: don't wash 'em too often and let them air out, you get some nasty ball-funk. ;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts