Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a bunch of eggs from a female trout that my step dad caught with me when we were at seminoe res. a couple or few weeks ago and was wondering what I can do and maybe catch something off them.

Do you have any suggestions guys. ???

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks DUDE. I will try those.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I've never heard of anybody asking about this out here, I'm from Oregon and cure my own roe from Salmon/steelhead eggs all the time. The most simple recipe involves 1cup borac, 1/3cup salt (non-iodized), 1/3 cup sugar (white). Variations include adding a packet of gelatin (yes flavored if you want - I like rasberry), or substituting sodium sulfite (can get from a camera store - used to develop pictures) for the salt. Just sprinkle a light coat of cure over the eggs (be sure to get inside the skein into loose eggs), prop them up to let them drain as they cure. Repeat this a couple of times, but don't overdo cuz they'll get hard.

When you use them as bait, be sure to use a knot that ties directly to the shank of a hook with an upturned eye. Make a loop in the line between the knot and the eye of the hook, and use this to sinch down on your piece of roe after you put them on the hook. A small piece of yarn tied to this loop helps prevent the line from cutting your egg sack in half, and makes the loop easy to grab when you need to re-bait.

If your eggs "milk" when you put them in water- you've got good stuff!

Good luck!

·
Registered
16,650 Posts
I had a post a couple months ago on tying egg sacs using trout eggs.Its one of my secret weapons.Been tyin 'em since the 70's.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts