Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I moved here (Fort Collins) about a year and a half ago from AK, where I mostly went for pike (and before that, panfish in northern MI). I didn't think it'd be that difficult to go trout fishing here, but I've been out about a dozen times so far in the past six months and I've gotten a sum total of two fish, both on separate occasions.

After talking to my father-in-law, I've mainly been using various colors of powerbait with a sinker about 6" up, and a bobber 12"-18" up from that. I tried using worms once at the start of the season at Horsetooth, but wasn't successful. Other places I've tried are West Lake, Watson Lake, Pinetree Reservoir, Chambers Lake, and Seaman Reservoir.

Are there any better combinations I should be using for trout, or places I could go? I don't know how to fly fish (I'd like to learn, but when I have more time!), and I like to keep my fish for dinner so I'm not too interested in catch-and-release.

It's doubly important for me to find a better combination since my husband is getting increasingly peeved that he hasn't caught a single fish yet. He likes being out on the water too, but I don't think it's as much fun for him if he isn't catching anything at all, and it's harder for me to drag him out there. :-\

Thank you!

·
Registered
4,702 Posts
Hello AKtoCo.

Assuming the lakes your are fishing have trout, use this:

The egg sinker rig is used to fish off or near the bottom. It works so well because the egg sinker allows the fish to pick up the bait without feeling any resistance and it presents your offering where many fish spend a lot of time… on or near the bottom. This is also a great rig for casting from the bank.

You will need:
Egg Sinker
Barrel Swivel
Hook
Leader

STEP 1 :
First thread the egg sinker onto your main line.

STEP 2: Tie the barrel swivel onto the main line using an improved clinch knot.

STEP 3: Tie 8 to 12 inches of leader onto the barrel swivel. If your are fishing in clear water, use line that is lighter than your main line (like 2lb to 4lb test) for your leader, otherwise you can use the same test as your main line.

STEP 4: Tie your hook onto the leader using an improved clinch knot. The type of hook you use will depend on the fish you are targeting and the bait that you choose.

Trout: #12 – #8

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Hello AKtoCo.

Assuming the lakes your are fishing have trout, use this:

The egg sinker rig is used to fish off or near the bottom. It works so well because the egg sinker allows the fish to pick up the bait without feeling any resistance and it presents your offering where many fish spend a lot of time… on or near the bottom. This is also a great rig for casting from the bank.

You will need:
Egg Sinker
Barrel Swivel
Hook
Leader

STEP 1 :
First thread the egg sinker onto your main line.

STEP 2: Tie the barrel swivel onto the main line using an improved clinch knot.

STEP 3: Tie 8 to 12 inches of leader onto the barrel swivel. If your are fishing in clear water, use line that is lighter than your main line (like 2lb to 4lb test) for your leader, otherwise you can use the same test as your main line.

STEP 4: Tie your hook onto the leader using an improved clinch knot. The type of hook you use will depend on the fish you are targeting and the bait that you choose.

Trout: #12 – #8
Also with this setup don't tightline it. leave some slack and watch the line for it to move. this also works pretty good for cats.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Buy a fly rod and hit some creeks and rivers. If you feel like spending more dough. After all when in CO do as the Coloradans do.

·
Registered
358 Posts
You've probably heard of or used fluorocarbon....... if not, fluorocarbon doesn't stretch and is nearly invisible under water........ it sinks compared to monofilament helping any lures you cast get down........ I'd fish some rooster tails as well as the bottom rig mentioned above...... this way your bait calls them in and any fish that isn't totally interested might hit your lure instead. Good luck!

·
Registered
438 Posts
Buy a fly rod and hit some creeks and rivers. If you feel like spending more dough. After all when in CO do as the Coloradans do.
yeh, what he said. you have the Poudre River right in your back yard. it's not that hard to learn. you can also pick up a light/ultra lite spinning rig with 4 or 6 lb test line. get a handful of 1/4 oz panther martins and kastmasters. cast up and across the river and catch some fish.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts