Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i tied my first scud today and never have fished them before. >:D Is there any thing special you have to do to get fish to hit them?

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
I to am new to the scud world. First advice, listen to rottal. Second, I just fish them like any nymph. Usually under a beadheaded guy.

·
Registered
24,509 Posts
Use a float...errrrrrrrr bobber.....errrrrrrrrrr strike indicator!...guess that was another topic... ;)

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
From what i can see it looks great...dont worry about making it look to neat, pick that bad boy out good to make it nice and fuzzy...the fish will like it just fine, if not even more. plus it softens it up and the fish will hold it in thier mouth longer. try a couple of different variations in olive and amber, and also orange. fish it deep...under that indicator with plenty of splitshot
;)

·
Registered
271 Posts
Scuds are great not only for stillwater, but for rivers as well.   Make sure you bring lots of lead because if your bobber is not tapping along the bottom, then you're not fishing deep enough.

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
zman said:
Use a float...errrrrrrrr bobber.....errrrrrrrrrr strike indicator!...guess that was another topic... ;)
That was a good one!

·
Registered
113 Posts
That dog'll hunt!

One tip I'll throw out for stillwater scuds: tie a few up on straight shank 2xl nymph hooks and retrieve them very slowly over and around veg. Scuds straigten out when they swim and trout will hammer 'em.

TP

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sounds like good advice tp. Always seen them tied on a bent hook but what you're saying makes sense.
Thanks for the tip! :)

·
Registered
24,509 Posts
I have heard to that they swim on their backs...so if you tie your own...lash some weight (lead cut to the length of the hook shank) to the top of the hook...since the weight is on top...it will pull the scud over on it's back with it's feet up in the water in the manner of how they swim...

Also if there are waves you dont need to retrieve them...let the waves do the work under a float...errr bobber....errrr strike indicator...if it moves funny from the normal cadence of the waves hammer it...it is a fish...

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
The scud zman described is also known as a "rollover scud", a favorite pattern of the late Gary Lafontain (i think thats how his last name is spelled..) by lashing weight to the top of the hook it allows the fly to be retrieved as normal, but as soon as you stop the fly it will roll over...this action is suppose to help entice fish into striking. give it a try, it sounds like a good one....

·
Registered
113 Posts
Sounds like a cool modification but I've never done it. In the spring I fish staight-shank scuds with a slow retrieve in the shallows then later, like summer into fall, switch to hanging a curved scud under an indicator in deeper water. Last April I had a bunch of great days with grey scuds. Can't wait for open water! O0

TP

·
Registered
193 Posts
OK other than Olive, Amber, Grey and Tan anyone use any other colors that work well?????? Ran into a guy that swore by a black scud he might of been drinking....

Fish

·
Registered
513 Posts
One day last fall a pink scud saved the day on a North Park Lake that shall remain nameless. I threw everthing else in my box, and the pink scud was the ticket. Have tried pink since and not caught a fish. Go figure.

·
Registered
9 Posts
here in mo.... i sight fish with themand absolutely tear them up. brown is the ticket but its a recipie that i blend up and its a secret, ive been sworn not to give it up...but if you come fish with me in durango this summer i might be willing to give you one to fish with......oh and no indicator

·
Registered
691 Posts
Scuds are "must have" flies for the Colorado alkaline "high desert" lakes: Delaneys, L John, Cowdrey, Spinney, etc. They are so easy to tie you can put together several different colors in short time. Traditionally, I've tied them on curved hooks but I have a feeling a straight shank would be better suited to more accurately replicate a swimming scud. I don't know. John

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I use hot pink, green, and brown in this pattern...

http://www.bigstockphoto.com/photo/view/246160?

(sorry, the other hobby is photography). Got the pattern about 20 years ago from a friend that used to guide on the Madison in Montana. Works great in Colorado and works really well on the Blue. Simply floss, copper wire, and hackle. Fished wet.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts