Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

How was your overall Colorado (and only Colorado) Fishing experience in 2005?

• Well below average

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Somewhat below average

• Average

• Somewhat above average

• Well above average

• Other

• Uncertain

• I did not fish in 2005

• I did not fish Colorado in 2005

• I did not fish enough to make an opinion

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just how was your fishing in 2005? Good, bad or indifferent? Enquiring minds want to know!

Only rate your fishing in Colorado. Let us know why you voted the way you did.

Was it better than 2004 or before? Were you pleased with the numbers and size of the fish? Was it too hot or too cold etc? Let us know...........

Dan

·
Registered
943 Posts
i caught mostly average sized fish this year. i caught more catfish this year. alot of 12" trout. not many bass. a few dan sized fish. sorry dan i couldn't resist ;D

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
afishman said:
i caught mostly average sized fish this year. i caught more catfish this year. alot of 12" trout. not many bass. a few dan sized fish. sorry dan i couldn't resist ;D
Good thing I like you Afishman..............otherwise it would take more than 10 minutes for me to stop crying........

Dan

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
After spending the entire year being known for small fish you really don't think I would vote average or better do you?

I voted "somewhat below average", I actually did catch some nice fish but since my "home lake" is Chatfield and this late summer and fall was really tough fishing I have to vote like I did.

Here is looking forward to a better year in 2006!

Dan

·
Registered
17 Posts
To me, fishing isn't just about the fish (although it IS a large part of it). I rated 'above average' because of the people who accompanied me on my trips, the beauty of the outdoors, and the number of catches (note that I didn't say 'size' of catches).

·
Registered
943 Posts
that was nice of you not to tease dan ;D

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
I rated it slightly below average too. I was cursed for much of the year. I'm just glad finally over, the curse that is. I think afisherman has it now, and he can keep it, because I'm only going to say nice things about Dan and Zman! I learned my lessons the hard way.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I went above average. I had a few goals this year. I wanted to catch my first : Largmouth, crappie, and catfish and met that goal. I caught all three multiple times and all of them were fairly big. Plus spent some time with my my family on the water and caught hundreds of trout. We all had a great year.

2006 has a few new goals.

Catch my first walleye
catch my first smallmouth
fish new waters. I am thinking about trying trinidad reservoir
catch a pike over 30"

·
Registered
542 Posts
My better half & I were talkin about that earlier and sumised that 05 was way below avg.We caught alot of small trout(the main quarry of ours)Very few bigguns.We attributed this to the very hot weather??Not sure if that was the cause or not.Surely it wasnt us :D

·
Registered
9,266 Posts
I said AVG. I didnt get alot of big fish but caught ALOT. I say I caught about 200 smallies last year. about 20 eyes, a few trout, about 10 macs and a few kokes and a Bass here and there.

[me=Jay_In_Parker] [/me]

·
Registered
664 Posts
my first real year of fishing in colorado so I don't know how to compare it. I caught a lot of fish but I wasn't impressed with their size. I would like to get into some larger LM and SM bass this year . I have caught some pretty nice browns already this year so I am already off to a better start as far as the size issue goes.

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Since I barely fished in 2004, the fishing I did in 2005 was alot better... I couldnt go with great since I wanted to catch a grayling and a golden trout but didnt get either, and I didnt land any huge hawgs. But I plan on getting both those species this year and hopefully some nice size fish.

·
Registered
16,571 Posts
I caught a lot of decent fish in 2005. Fished several new lakes which all panned out.I rated it above avg.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
I rated it above average, even though I didn't fish as frequently as I wanted to. I did get in on a couple of spectacular largemouth bass and smallmouth bass bites and that made things memorable. Also got in on some good northern fishing and had the usual success stalking big carp with the fly rod. Will '06 be better? Only the fishing gods know...

·
Registered
238 Posts
My fishing for 2005 was above average. Since 05 was the first time I really fished plastics (Senko, Powerminnow,grubs,ect) my expierience on the water improved 10-fold!!! I think what was different from the year before was the consistancy. I in 04 I had many days where I caught nothing. In 05, those days were rare.

Pondfisher

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
Somewhat above average. Didn't get into too many numbers, but had some very decent and memorable trips. Met the goal of catching mackinaws... Then observed myself getting schooled by The Woman on size of fish. I did catch some large perch though  :p

And got into some good bass fishin smallies/largemouth alike. Overall, I'm satisfied. Crappies, catfish, wipers, whitebass, the usual. Got into all of that. Just not as often as when I was a youngin followin the ol' man around. This year's goal is to do more trout fishing... I'm like, "C'mon Yang, you live in Colorado!!!" I shall be hitting up the Poudre and hopefully the Arkansas this year to chase some browns w/Rapalas & spinners. Oh yeah, and the grayling will be my goal species of 2006. Will be posting reports again soon.

Good luck to everyone,
1eyeReD

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
well above average. Well, except for trout. For trout it was way below average. My biggest was an 8 or 9 pounder on the white was all. I didn't ever get too good of numbers in 05 compared to previous years for trout. However, for northern pike, largemouth bass, bluegill, and smallmouth bass it was so much better than 04. Never would I have dreamed of catching 2 pike 20 pounds or better, caught a 6 pound largemouth and several 5 pounders, caught a lot of 3-4 pound smallmouth, and once again hammered the gills with cricket flies. Also, the number of pike I landed in 05 was unrivaled.
So far, 06 is well below average, but that can change.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I would have to say for me it was about average , Tried alot of new lakes , caught alot of average fish nothing to acceptional . But for me just being out there makes it all worth while ! Where else has such beautiful scenery To enjoy! Will never stop even with those not so great catch days!

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
I had a great year fishing in 05. I fished all my regular spots and some new ones. Not all the ones I wanted to but there's always time. I didn't make the cover of field and stream but I broke a couple of personal records. Also found this site in 05 which has drasticly improved my fishing.

Goals for 06
1. Catch a brooke trout so I can finally grand slam.
2. Catch a pike on a fly.
3. Catch a bass(small or large mouth it doesn't matter)
4. Fish the Taylor!
5. 4 words----SALMON FLY HATCH GUNNISON

1 - 20 of 32 Posts