Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
I volunteered as a controller and had a great time. I left for the Springs before the festivities ended, so I don't know the final tally. Silent_Light and his teamate had a good morning and a tough afternoon. Oyey and FlyGuy had a tough morning, but I didn't get a chance to talk to them in the evening. PescadoDiablo4 and his partner fished the a.m. beat right above me in the morning, and I saw them get one as soon as they hit the water.

One team in the a.m. had pool full of stockers in their beat and racked up over 240 inches. They'll probably be tough to beat.

The team I was paired up with in the afternoon had the worst beat (just above the Pueblo Ave bridge), but their morning beat had given them the best a.m. fish, a 20" rainbow. Hope it held for them.

·
Registered
6,422 Posts
sswan said:
I volunteered as a controller and had a great time. I left for the Springs before the festivities ended, so I don't know the final tally. Silent_Light and his teamate had a good morning and a tough afternoon. Oyey and FlyGuy had a tough morning, but I didn't get a chance to talk to them in the evening. PescadoDiablo4 and his partner fished the a.m. beat right above me in the morning, and I saw them get one as soon as they hit the water.

One team in the a.m. had pool full of stockers in their beat and racked up over 240 inches. They'll probably be tough to beat.

The team I was paired up with in the afternoon had the worst beat (just above the Pueblo Ave bridge), but their morning beat had given them the best a.m. fish, a 20" rainbow. Hope it held for them.
I figured there would be a pool of stockers that would produce someone a big number on readily available dinks.

S

·
0 Posts
Heres the finals :
Chris Galvan and John ( i forget) too First overall with 403" They had two beats where stockers go is, so a spank-a-thon was in order for them ( both top notch fishermen as well)

Theo and Brandon Soucie took 2nd overall with 300+"

3rd place was the "Big Fish" winner whichwas Alex (FlyGuy) with a HOSS 21" bow.

My team had 2nd place at lunch but had a rough beat in the afternoon. Probably because Theo and Brandon beat it up in the A.M :)
Caught 142" first beat and only one 17" on the second. Think we took 6th or 7th overall , all results will be posted sometime late this week.

The Pro teams for the most part didnt do to well, the river and overcast just didn't produce a very fishy day for everyone.

Has a BLAST no matter what !!

S

·
0 Posts
Silent_Light said:
Heres the finals :
Chris Galvan and John ( i forget) took First overall with 403" They had two beats where stockers go in, so a spank-a-thon was in order for them ( both top notch fishermen as well)

Theo Anest and Brandon Soucie took 2nd overall with 300+"

3rd place was the "Big Fish" winner which was Alex (FlyGuy) with a HOSS 21" bow.

My team had 2nd place at lunch but we had a rough beat in the afternoon. Probably because Theo and Brandon beat it up in the A.M :)
Caught 142" first beat and only one 17" on the second. Think we took 6th or 7th overall , all results will be posted sometime late this week.

The Pro teams for the most part didnt do to well, the river and overcast just didn't produce a very fishy day for everyone.

Has a BLAST no matter what !!

·
Registered
96 Posts
I think most everyone had a good time at the tourney, myself included. Jason (Oyey) and I were pretty bummed about our morning beat but we stuck to our game plan and turned things around in the afternoon. This was my first competition and was stoked to be fishing with Jason. I learned a lot from him about preparation and planning before the event and this really helped boost my confidence, even after we stunk it up on the morning session.

This competition was on my home waters and let me tell ya it was a very tough day. I saw one rise in the afternoon and only a handful of midge flying around. The fish just were not actively on the feed. Even though the weather seemed perfect for a strong midge hatch, or even some BWO's, the hatch just never materialized.

Regardless, a few teams were able to post some very high numbers. This was partially due to the beat draw but was mostly a result of their mad fishing skills. The folks from the America's Cup are a great group of guys and hope they will make it a point to come back next year. (probably for a Pro/Am format). Theo (PescadoDiablo4) and Brandon showed up on foriegn water and kicked some serious A$$. They were only 2 or 3 fish away from taking the top spot! I think they posted 380 total inches.

Considering this was the 1st annual event (and only winter Fly Fishing competition in the state), Ben Wurster and Lou Mcollough did a great job organizing the event and coordinating with the 40 or so volunteers that stepped up to make it a success. Don't know how much money the 509 TU chapter raised but I'm sure was one of their most successful fund raising events. With matching funds, the monies raised should make for some nice future improvements on the tailwater.

·
Registered
11,844 Posts
First I want to say thanks to all the volunteers, tournament organizers, and all the participants. This was an extremely successful event that was difficult to pull off, and since it was the first one, the learning curve was large.

The DOW stocked the river three times in Nov/Dec and I knew this would play a huge factor in the tourney. Sure enough folks who drew "bridge" holes caught tons of stockers and won. The winning team had two bridge holes and just slayed fish. Congrats to them for their success. I know they are excellent fishermen who made the best of a good situation.

Our team struggled in the AM with the second worst beat on the river.. I knew this on Friday night and had to try and sleep knowing the AM would put me on a stretch that I dreaded long before the tourney... Between Alex and I we caught ZERO fish legally... Snagged a bunch of suckers, but could not get them to eat.

The afternoon we drew a beat that was a bit better, however it yeilded zero fish in the AM! We fished it hard and had five quality fish through the first two hours. At this point we knew that the only possible way to make this a success was to go for the big fish which would place us in third regardless of total inches.

At 4:57 Alex was doing everything right. I could not believe he hadn't hooked up.... As I stood behind him, I watched yet another perfect drift slowly dance in position... I loudly said three times "EAT, EAT, EAT!!!!" and sure enough BAM, fish on... and it was a beast.

The fish faught as well as I have ever seen an Ark fish fight (especially in mid Jan)... After a 7-8 minute fight (actually after the tourney ended, but still in regulation as stated in the rules) the fish came to net and the relief of getting through such a tough day with success at the end started to settle in.

Sure enough, this would turn out to be the big fish of the tourney which put us in third. We could not have been happier.

All and all, it was just a great event. Thanks again to all that made it possible and participants. Here is the fish.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Too bad it didn't run for two days...giving everyone 4 beats and water that was previously fished.....this would of evened it out.

Chris Galvan is a great competition fisherman. He has fished in at least two national championships, several Team USA qualifers, and the America's cup. A great fisherman on a decent beat is going to produce everytime.

Glad to hear it went well, everyone had a good time, and most important TU made some money that will go back into the river.

John G.

·
Registered
11,844 Posts
Flyfishnfool said:
Too bad it didn't run for two days...giving everyone 4 beats and water that was previously fished.....this would of evened it out.

Chris Galvan is a great competition fisherman. He has fished in at least two national championships, several Team USA qualifers, and the America's cup. A great fisherman on a decent beat is going to produce everytime.

Glad to hear it went well, everyone had a good time, and most important TU made some money that will go back into the river.

John G.
Your absolutely right, and the second place team was made up of Theo Anest and Brandon Soucie (winner of the Teva Mnt Games)... both are extremely accomplished guides and fishermen... So it was not just beats, but both teams did draw very well.

John, I love the two day idea...

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
Oyey said:
I love the two day idea...
I don't know about that. I was pretty happy to be able to sleep in this morning. I definitely wasn't up for a second straight day on the river today.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I drove down with my wife and 3 little daughters in the afternoon to see some of the action. We walked down from the dam to only just past the second bridge and saw multiple fish caught. It looked like a blast. It was good to see some anglers who know what they are doing and try and pick up some tips.
Great job for a great cause! My little ones and wife had a good time too.

·
Registered
883 Posts
First off I would also like to say thanks to the volunteers and organizers. We had great people on both our beats!

As far as beats went we drew one decent and one very bad. I have always believed that it’s better to be lucky than good, and in this tourney if you were lucky and good you did well. Congrats to the top three teams.

I really felt prepared for this event, and in the end I have a bitter sweet feeling about yesterday. My first cast resulted in a double up. The result was two 9” fish. I proceeded to land 35 more fish in the morning, but only two scored. My partner manager two 17’s and an 18 1/2. I had 3 fish on that would have scored but I blew it!

The afternoon was really depressing, our beat only had two potential areas where fish could hold. We each managed one 14” fish and a dozen or so more 9” fish. But I think the morning guys must have worked the water pretty hard.

I over all had a good time. I also have a new perspective on fishing. I feel like I was well prepared and ready to fish. I had a very good day by any standard I landed 50 fish, but I was cursed with water that was holding mostly 9 inch fish. I personally landed over 400 inches of fish, but they were all less than 10”. What you gonna do?

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
Nice to meet you at the beat drawing Friday night, sorelips. I looked for you on Saturday to find out how you fared, but missed you somehow in the hustle and bustle.

With the new regs, maybe the average size of the fish will be better next year. I did see people fishing with bait in the flies and lures only water, though. I hope they step up the enforcement. I think the old mindset of anything goes won't die easily.

·
Registered
11,844 Posts
sswan said:
Oyey said:
I love the two day idea...
I don't know about that. I was pretty happy to be able to sleep in this morning. I definitely wasn't up for a second straight day on the river today.
Come on Swanni, your showin your age! >:D >:D (good to meet you)

JK, I know it would be tough on the volunteers... I could fish all day like that for as many days as the world would let me! God forbid I was single and won the lottery!

sswan, I do want to pick your brain about your morning session!

Silent Light, Thanks for the tips on Czech nymphing. I have been practicing here, and while it is a bit different than a faster moving water, I found some success and look forward to getting better at that type of fishing.

Sorelips, I owe ya one....and me you and Stephan gotta get up to the Reef while Theo is there.

Thanks again everyone for making this such a nice event.

·
Registered
585 Posts
First off, congratulations to all of the people whe set up the tournament. I thought for the first time that it was put on, it went off really well. To the fishing......We had never even seen the river in Pueblo before, and are not the most competant fly fisherman to start. We drew the second to last beat in the AM and had very limited fishable water. This lead us to not measure a single fish in the morning. In the afternoon, we drew the beat above Valco bridge and had a considerable better section of river to fish. That being said, we arrived at that beat to find 7 or 8 bait chuckers lining the river that made it difficult to fish the hole under the bridge. We did catch fish, but not as many as we could have if we could have been on the other side of the river. The guys below the bridge (sorry, I dont know their names), killed it all afternoon! Unfortunately, we moved up above the bridge and in the first long deep run, I hooked and lost a bow that I think would have been the big fish of the tournament and lost it after a brief battle. It was fun and I cant wait to do it next year! Thanks to all that were there. Good group of guys and gals.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts