Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
cold,and i hit a rock out on the ice with my new auger, nothing but small fish for us. kind of a bummer. like how the rules work there though,prevents alot of cheating.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Same luck here lots of small ones nothing to big. I want ro hit wolford aleast one more time before ice is out. It sure is nice driving to your spot. If you forget something in the truck, just walk over and grab it!

·
Registered
130 Posts
Hi Rad never made it to wolford , I took my 10 year old daughter to green mountain then to goergetown . She had alot of fun . Was planning to go to wolford , But thought she would have more fun closer to home . Caught a few macks at green mountain then headed to goergetown ,Had a blast. She got some good practice trying to set the hook on all those small trout . They were biting like crazy!

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Rad, I have never ice fished wolford before is it common for people to drive on the ice there?

Jamie that stinks about your auger, is it ok? What was it that you liked about the rules, how were they different from other tourneys? Have you seen people cheat at tourneys before? If so thats terrible, this guy at my work is from Minnesota and said back home there were some guys that got caught cheating bringing frozen fish. They had to give back a truck that they won, how embarrising.

At least you guys were catching fish, even small ones are fun.

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
the auger will live after a $80. set of blades, i guess i could try and sharpen them but i need it for this weekend, when i bought this new jiffy it came with a 1 year enging, 2 year gearbox, 3 year blade warranty, just have to send the blades in, so i guess i'll have a spare set. just kindof lame that under the snow i didn't see the rocks,(why were they there???)who knows. i liked the fact that the fish when scored had to still be alive and not frozen. award a lot of money and people will figure out a way to cheat, thats why they put this rule in at wolford because some local guy won it 2 years in a row before they figured out he was catching fish elsewhere and bringing them in, i'd like to see alot of the other tourneys pay a little more attention and maybe have more individuals watching over everything instead of just a couple for the whole tourney. maybe i'm just a bit bitter(had an off year). it would make me feel better about spending my money to enter them, don't get me wrong i still have a blast at them, i just wish they were watched more closely. fishing this year just seems to be off at all the lakes i go to. maybe there is something to the zman curse, it seems to be following me around..kindof like a bad smell....??? maybe this year i just couldn't even catch a cold in antarctica, much less a big fish.oh well the ice aint done yet...

·
Registered
91 Posts
driving on Wolford is real common and with the Reservoir water level up, the boat ramp hill is less daunting. There is a lot of snow on the ice so stay where it is packed or bring a shovel. Also four wheel drive is a must. Plenty of ice, as I would guess between 18" and 24". I heard there were over 300 people fishing at the tourney.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Ice is plenty thick just watch out for slushy spots. If you hit some dont stop, drive until hit solid snow. Got my truck stuck up there 2 weeks ago. Not a big deal just cut into our fishin time by 1/2 hour.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
I didn't make it, but a friend of mine got 3rd place with a splake 20" long and 10" girth. Stopped at a gas station or store in Kremmling on the way in and the local there told him that he did good with crawdads at Wolford. Finally at 1:30 PM he followed that advice, put on a brown tube with Crawdad Smelly Jelly, and got a decent fish. Before that he was only getting small trout with standard ice jigs.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Sorry about your auger JH a $80 donation to the mighty fish god is not a good thing. I made a healthy donation a few years back when I forgot to take the tackle box off the roof of my car. Somebody got some good stuff. :'(

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
i got my new blades in the mail today, so i'm okay now,guess i just got a spare set now. hats off to feldman ind(jiffy) they got me the blades pretty fast, all i gotta do is send the damaged ones in and they'll fix or replace them... it's only money and you can't take it with you.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts