Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have one of these chargers?

I'm having a bit of trepidation about mine because of the polarity.

New, it had red and black sheaths around the connectors to show + vs -.

Mine has been modified to fit 12v SLA batteries with the small posts... It now no longer has those sheaths.

One wire has a broken white line running it's length. _______ _______ _______

Typically this type of marking indicates positive.

Last time I hooked it up to my battery (the one that died) the battery never charged back up... It just heated up and never ran again.

The charger has the indicator light on it with the red light to indicate a reversed polarity. This did not happen on my last battery once it was dead. It is doing it now on this new battery.

Either the battery was so dead that the breaker switch inside the battery was never triggered, or the wire with the broken white line is the "negative" wire...

When I hook it up now, the wire with the marking is showing as "reversed" when on the positive terminal while it lights up yellow when on negative (meaning "charging normally")

I'm concerned that the charger may have been damaged last time I hooked up the bad battery and left it on charge for an hour, possibly making the indicator lights function improperly... Last thing I want to do is F- up my brand new battery.

Anyone have this charger? Can you verify that the marked wire is indeed negative?

·
Registered
4,714 Posts
I don't have the charger. But an easy way to verify polarity would be to use a DVM (digital voltmeter), if you have one or can borrow one from someone.

A DVM will read the voltage for the source, in this case your charger, as either a positive number or a negative number depending on how you hook up the leads.

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea.... I don't have a meter. Guess I'll take the charger in to work and borrow one from the maintenance shop.

·
Registered
6,684 Posts
Just stick one of the 2 wires to your tounge and place your hand in a sink full of water.....

If you look like this you got the positive lead ;) LMAO j/k j/k

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
BTDT. ;D

Don't borrow a meter, you'll fry it and have to buy them a new one.

Get one at Harbor Freight (heck get a couple, they practically give them away).

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'll just take the charger in to work and test it out. No wait, no cost.

Thanks for the suggestion though. Makes me wish we had a HF close by!

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)

·
Registered
24,568 Posts
I always felt positive after a white line or stripe...then I got a rc plane with fuzzy!

there fixed it for ya...

·
P I K E
10,114 Posts
I just checked my Vex and Lowrance chargers and both positives have the white stripe.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
My II Cents

Some positives may have a white stripe IMO.
If my memory is correct, with a DVM when the leads are hooked up positive to positive and neg. to neg. the meter will read the voltage like so 6.0.

When the leads are reversed it will read -6.0 or minus voltage.

·
Registered
4,714 Posts
Some positives may have a white stripe IMO.
If my memory is correct, with a DVM when the leads are hooked up positive to positive and neg. to neg. the meter will read the voltage like so 6.0.

When the leads are reversed it will read -6.0 or minus voltage.
^^ ^^

This

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Of all my power supplies and chargers, this is the only one where the stripe indicates negative. Both of Tony's indicate positive, the electronics site I linked to talks about the stripe typically indicates positive...

Guess Chris and Andy live in Seinfeld's Bizarro world. :)

Thanks for all the replies, guys. My battery is now completely charged and I no longer have doubts about my charger.

:)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts