Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have one of these units that could give me some input on it.

I was thinking about picking one up to use tomorrow up at Red Feather Lakes? This seems to be the only top of the line unit available in Denver. I checked Gander, Sportsman's and Bass Pro, unless someone knows of some place else.

I don't see many reviews out there on the unit, but I like the idea of 6 colors and the digital read out of the bottom depth. Plus the bigger screen would seem to make it easier to read, especially from the side.

Late Christmas present to myself.

Thanks
Joe

·
Registered
12,554 Posts
I have looked at them and they look awesome! Can't tell you how they are though because I couldn't justify spending the 500 bones on it :D :D

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
Outside of being quite heavy and expensive, I bet they'd do the trick. If you question buying one, I'd pick up a Vex FL-8se Gentz Box for a lot less money and they work pretty darn good.

·
Registered
157 Posts
After a lot of research into the different options, I am finally going to be handing my old FL8 to my boy and am upgrading to the ICE-45. I thought about the x67c type graph finders but the options for cone angle seem to be too large (20 degree/60 degree) for the type of fishing I do (Lakers). I thought about the FL-18/20 but the Humminbird has more features and costs significantly less. Dual beam, adjustable zoom, cold weather LCD readout, more power etc.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I don't own a 55 but I have a 45 that does great for me. I still think I'd get the 45 if I had it to do again. I really like the unit and it makes a difference in my catch rate. I don't know if the 6 color palette is better but the three works fine for me. I also tend to doubt the target line is that much handier. If I catch fish at a certain depth it's never been hard for me to recall or get back to it. I do think that auto-setting scale of the 45 and 55 is worth the extra dough from the 35. I did have my display go haywire over the summer but I sent it back to H-bird and they fixed it under warranty without any trouble. Someday I will probably get a X67c to try a graphing unit but for now the ICE 45 does the job just fine.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There's a $1000 one! Can you send me the link? ;D

I just picked it up at Bass Pro and put it together, all the weight that is mentioned here is in the battery. It took me about 30 minutes to put together. I've read where people think that is a downfall but for me I didn't mind putting it together, figure if I'm not bright enough to do that I probably ain't bright enough to use it either.

Hopefully I can get out int he tomorrow or sometime this week and give it a spin.

Thanks for everyone's input.

Later
Joe

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
Sweet Joe!
Riv and I were going to split a 35 but found a good deal on an fl-12....
Love the look of the 55 and the digital depth.

·
Registered
904 Posts
joej said:
There's a $1000 one! Can you send me the link? ;D
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Humminbird-ICE8482-55-Flasher-with-385ci-Combo/1097112.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch%2F%3FN%3D%26No%3D40%26Ntk%3DAllProducts%26Ntt%3Dice%2Bfishing%2Belectronics%26Ntx%3Dmode%252Bmatchall%26WTz_stype%3DSP%26form_state%3DsearchForm%26search%3Dice%2Bfishing%2Belectronics%26x%3D10%26y%3D7&Ntt=ice+fishing+electronics
You asked for it, you got it !!!

·
Registered
66 Posts
If you get a Humminbird ice-55, get one from here for $424.79 with free shipping and no tax of course. They also sell the ice-45 for $352. I searched all over the web a few weeks ago because I was thinking of buying one and this was the cheapest place. Don't forget the $55 and $45 rebate forms linked to at the bottom of this post.

Ice-55 for $424.79 - $55 Rebate
http://www.thedigitaloasis.com/Shop/Control/Product/fp/vpid/8549844/vpcsid/0/SFV/32815

Ice-45 for $352.28 - $45 Rebate
http://www.thedigitaloasis.com/Shop/Control/Product/fp/vpid/8549841/vpcsid/0/SFV/32815

If you want to make sure the seller is legit, he also has an ebay account that I'll link to below that has over 75K feedback and 99% positive. He sells the same machine but it's higher then his website link above because of ebay fees.

http://cgi.ebay.com/HUMMINBIRD-ICE-55-ICE-FISHING-FLASHER-2400-WATTS-/150501275351?pt=GPS_Devices&hash=item230a9336d7

Also, in case you don't know, humminbird is offering a $55 rebate on the ice-55 and $45 rebate for the ice-45 through Dec. 31st so you got a few more days. Link below to the rebate form:
http://store.humminbird.com/media/document/ICE55.pdf

So $369 after rebate for a ice-55 or $307 for the ice-45......you can't beat that anywhere. Don't let the Vexilar zealots talk you into going with one of those over priced flashers.

In case you want to know what I did, I'm renting an ice-45 for 90 days that will have costed me close to a $1, yes one buck. I'm not saying how, but you can probably figure it out ;)

Also, for reviews for the humminbird units, check out this link. I read through a bunch of them, most are good.
http://lake-link.com/boards/forums/viewposts.cfm?Thread_ID=67195&StartRow=1&SortOrder=DESC&RecordsToDisplay=15

Enjoy all the info, it took me hours to find all the stuff above.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Last year I picked up the 35, it did an OK job, but when fishing next to a vex there is no comparison which is better. I took back my 35 and was able to buy a fl-18 on here. This year my cousin was looking to pick up a flasher and he decided that with all the bells and whistles the Humminbird would be better, after fishing with me and alternating between my 18 and his humminbird he wished he could take his back. On the humminbird nothing stays steady, weeds will show up one second and no the next, your jig will flash in and out. The only way to get it to stay is to turn up the gain, and when the gain is high enough your jig is yellow/red. where as with the Vex your jig stays steady and green. even if you cant afford to get zoom on a vex it will be a better investment than the humminbird.

just my two cents,
Andy

·
Registered
19 Posts
Got the ICE-55 last year from BPS and it is BAD AZZ. It pretty much does everything but set the hook for you.

I lucked out and they had an open box that was missing the canvas bag, so I saved $100. When I got home and set it up, the back light didn't work. I called customer service and the sent me a brand new one, no questions asked! IMO, great customer service and a top of the line unit, you can't go wrong.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
COoutdoorsman said:
Got the ICE-55 last year from BPS and it is BAD AZZ. It pretty much does everything but set the hook for you.

I lucked out and they had an open box that was missing the canvas bag, so I saved $100. When I got home and set it up, the back light didn't work. I called customer service and the sent me a brand new one, no questions asked! IMO, great customer service and a top of the line unit, you can't go wrong.
Yah X2 on this unit. I have one and it has been nothing less than set the hook for you. I can pick up a school of minows and even a catfish cruzing the bottom. I put my X-55 next to a vex last year it scrambled his screen up. They are a little pricey but worth every penny.

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
cocoking said:
COoutdoorsman said:

Yah X2 on this unit. I have one and it has been nothing less than set the hook for you. I can pick up a school of minows and even a catfish cruzing the bottom. I put my X-55 next to a vex last year it scrambled his screen up. They are a little pricey but worth every penny.
I fish with a guy sometimes who has one and they are impressive, I still prefer sonar no matter how good the flashers are there still just flashers :(

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks to everyone for there comments, I got to use it and the new hut this weekend at Dowdy and it worked great. No problems picking up small jigs and it seemed to be very quiet. It was nice to be able to tell when the wax worm got knocked off your hook :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts