Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I might be able to get on of these two flashers in the next coming months. I don't know how to use either of them so is one easier to operate than the other? Which one would be "better" for a first time user like me.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I also picked up the Ice-35. It has increased my catch rate. The battery has lasted 5 trips, and i still don't need to charge it. It is easy to use.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Did either of you know how to use a flasher before you bought it? If not then did you learn from the instructions?

·
Registered
144 Posts
flashers are very easy to use, I would personally recommend the vex. I bought the 35 last year and took it back the day after I used it. The humminbird was not steady, according to the flasher the jig would constantly move in and out of the cone and would move up and down while the rod was laying on the ice. I bought a vex shortly after and everything was steady and I am still very happy with my vex. My cousin picked up a humminbird and he wishes he could take it back.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I would also vote for a Vex. My buddy bought a new hummingbird last year. We fished side by side last year. He had his hummingbird and I had my vex. My vex was more reliable. We moved over some deep water and he couldn't make out his jig, while I could still them on the Vex. By the way my Vexilar is 11 years old. They are the standard for a reason.

·
Registered
648 Posts
get the fl8-se, they are getting pricey though, i bought one about 4 years ago at basspro new for 199, in august. now the same exact model 4 years later is going for 300-350 depending where you look and whether or not its has a battery life indicator on it. mine came with a little tacklebox built in and a battery meter. the fl8-se is perfect for most trout fishing situations

·
Registered
113 Posts
I have had my vex-18 for over 6 years now and I am still on the same battery and it still works great.It had 80% charge on it after setting in the garage all year.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I had never used/seen a flasher used before i got the ice-35 so i don't have anything to compare it to, but it took no time to understand. I have not had the problem Biv mentioned, but then again, i've only had it out 4 times and the deepest i've been over was 25 feet. When deciding which to get I did like that there are different settings(narrow for deeper and wide for shallow) as well as a zoom for the transducer that i dont think the lower end Vex had, but i could be wrong about that. I have caught more fish this year than any year before thanks to it and the year has barely started.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I had never used a flasher before the Ice-35. The directions were simple. I have not had any problems with locating my jig. I am very happy so far.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Ice 35 without a doubt. More power, dual cone, zoom. Much more bang for the buck.

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
wrestler034 said:
Ice 35 without a doubt. More power, dual cone, zoom. Much more bang for the buck.
Yep yep I agree!
Vex is proud of their product. I have a fl-12 but sure wouldn't of bought a new one. Would of been a 35.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Go Vex all the way!!! More power is merely a sales pitch, Vex now has tri-cone and are the most reliable flashers out there. Worth every cent of the slightly higher price.........there's a reason they are the industry standard!!

·
Registered
157 Posts
If you want the tri cone or a dual cone it is extra. Dual cone is standard with the ice 35

·
Registered
18 Posts
I guess what it comes down to, is go with what you like and can afford, it beats NOT having one.
This can be debated ALL day long and has been on other forums. It's like Ford Vs Chevy, Coke Vs Pepsi and so on.
There is TONS of info out there on both models read for yourself it's half the fun. ;D

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Im just saying, not trying to start a argument. I think all the people that say buy vex or marcum have not used a x-35,x-45, or x55 from hummingbird. Im sure there unit works great for them. But the X-55 i got last year is hands down better than any vex or marcum i have ever seen or used. They are very easy to use. the x-35 is very good for a beginner .. Just saying.I know ford vs chevy vs dodge and so on. you should look and see what fits your buget and see what you want as a newbe to the flasher. :) :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
I like the Pro Pack II
I will tell you why I have Vexilars. Back in the late 80's I started with a Eagle Ultra graph ( Lowrance brand) until I saw a guy with a Vexilar FL-8 and I was amazed that you could see your jig in real time so I went home a bought a FL-8, that was late 80's Now if that guy would have had a Marcum or a Humminbird, (not sure when they started making Ice units) I would be a Marcum or Humminbird guy. I have had NO problems with any of my Vexilar units 2 FL-8's, 1 Fl-20 and the newest the FL-22
as far as ease of use the FL-8se couldn't be easier you turn on the unit and select the depth range and start catching fish ;D
It's all about seeing what down buy your bait and the structure(weeds, hard or soft bottom) that you are fishing and all the units will do that. Go to Bass Pro and look at the units up close and see what one you like best.
Good luck.

Matt

1 - 20 of 35 Posts