Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
L

·
0 Posts
That's frigin awesome. I've seen 20" white fish in the bellies of northerns before but never a bird or a duck. That's way cool!!!!

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
Hmm... Interesting.. Very cool too!!!

Looks to be a small puddler duck.. Hen shoveler? Gadwall?? If shoveler then that pike has bad taste  :p

Thanks for sharing,
1eyeReD

·
Registered
664 Posts
Cabelas actually sells bird lures that resemble different songbirds. When I was a kid in Minnesota, all the old timers would talk about northerns eating baby ducks as they swam behind their mom. I've never seen it but that looks a lot bigger than a baby duck.

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
farmer ted said:
Cabelas actually sells bird lures that resemble different songbirds. When I was a kid in Minnesota, all the old timers would talk about northerns eating baby ducks as they swam behind their mom. I've never seen it but that looks a lot bigger than a baby duck.
On a Minnesota lake, I've seen a mother mallard start across a bay with about 8 baby ducks swimming in a line behind her, and get to the other side with only 3. The pike would follow them and keep sucking down the last baby duck in the line.

Never saw one make a try for the mother, though....

When the old Herter's sporting goods was still in existence before Cabela's bought them, their catalog used to have a baby duck lure that was just for pike and musky. It had treble hooks for feet, and was fuzzy and had a head and beak and looked just like a hatchling duck. I never owned one, myself. A big ol' red & white dardevle caught me all the pike I wanted.

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Thanks for the pic hellfish. Back home in Michigan I have seen a pike take down a baby mallard. It is just like WE said, the last one in line is the bait. I have also watched a muskie take a muskrat. Talk about an explosion out of the water.

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
WOW.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
that would be cool id love to see it

1 - 11 of 11 Posts