Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, thanks to some of my new friends here and a few on the "dark side"; I am going to get back into the ice fishing scene to chase some of the fish on my lunker list that eluded me during softwater this year.

Having sold all my ice gear when my fishing partner moved out of state; I found myself spending a lot of time researching on line and reading tons of posts about huts and augers. WOW, have things changed in the eight years it's been since I last ice fished.

My last item to buy is the most important one; a hut. I know some of you hardcore guys out there still don't use huts (more power to you; you crazy bastards!!) but I did and probably always will use one on most occasions.

Here's what I have already considered:

Weight before loading gear
Fishable space and leg room for two people comfortably
Ease of set-up/teardown (particularly in the wind)
Transporting to the ice and moving around
Profile (how high does it sit from the ground when set up)

Price= They all cost more than I need to spend, but I have a awesome spouse who fishes and understands that sometimes fishing **** ain't cheap. I don't need an insulated one, that's overkill to me.

But, I am unsure(undecided) about the following:

Is there one brand truly and better than another?

So to the masses: Share your opinions or experiences about what brand you have and why you like it better than the others.

This should be fun.....

·
Registered
428 Posts
I've owned two huts in my adult ice fishing life, def a preference deal. Great for keeping kids,women and sissies warm.Or sight fishing.
Or making you lazy and NEVER moving.
For lightweight, a pop up rules,but takes time to set up. My Eskimo is 10 yrs old and hanging in there. It's the red one that was improved. If I bought another pop up, would prolly go eskimo again but if you wanna sight fish lot the black ones do help and were warmer. Cabela's brand? not sure who makes them. Plenty of room if you have ONE partner.

The flip over will be way heavier, harder to load but faster to setup. That may keep you mobile,if you can pull it, which should mean more fish most of the time.

Would go clam on the flip. I assumed that's what you were after?

All the above applies to hand pull only

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mac,

Thanks for the input. I had a Shappell with the plastic floor and the two flip up fishing "holes" for well over 10 years. It served me very well but was pretty small for two people. I guess that is still considered a "pop up" style. My biggest issues with it were the putting together of the poles and at times trying to make the hut stretch to fit the poles in place.

I am leaning towards a flip up/over and am curious to what types people have and what they like most about the brand they have.

Thanks for the input for sure.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
flip overs are heavy and I play with Barbies.....think that would be a bad move unlesss you plan on buying a snow mobile too,lol i have a fatfish949 ,they're great with the wide bottom. i hardly ever pop it up cause i have good gear that keeps me warm and like to stay mobile.

·
Registered
4,804 Posts
I have a frabill two man flip now from Costco really light and the black improves sight fishing and warmer. Thing is I have only used it one time with the tent :smile: its pretty much a big sled. Just rather sit outside and take in the views. Today I just google weather forcast and if its going to be nasty I just stay home so I really only need a jet sled these days.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I have an Eskimo quickfish 3 that I have used off and on for about 5-6 years. It was about $130 from sportsmans and it works well. It does take some time to anchor in the wind and it is comfortable for 2. I am over 6' tall and I like to be able to stand up sometimes.

·
Registered
4,804 Posts
The Hub style look roomy and warm but not to sure how mobile you would be in one. I dont think I have ever sat still more then 30 mins ice fishing always on the move.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the input fellas.

Some of the input explained people's reasons for why they like one style vs the other and no one was able to say for sure one brand was better than another. People either chose what was affordable or what best suits their style of fishing.

For me catching 16"-22" rainbows gets kinda boring through the ice. Perhaps it is because I got spoiled and learned from someone who fished those lakes for many years. It has never taken more than 8-10 holes to find them and on most occasions I am able to catch enough to take the wife a few and keep me entertained for a few hours (Personally, I don't eat trout). But, seeing them come in and hit (or not hit) the bait was the fun part so the hut is cool for that as well as keeping the elements at bay.
Some of my best days on the ice were during nasty weather for sure.

For what I am wanting to catch I think I'm going to go with the lightest flip over I have found (Frabill) for the days I want to be semi-mobile and be able to sight fish. Like a few others have said I will use it for a sled to carry my gear on the bluebird days that I want to enjoy the views and scenery. For me the hub style pop-ups take too long to set up and have the potential to be a giant sail when it gets windy; which is a lot of the time on certain lakes. For those lakes that require a hike; I will just check weather first, pack light and sit out in nature. It's a sure fire way to find out if my investment in good gear will keep me warm enough.

Thanks again to everyone for their input. Happy Holidays!!!

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
The biggest drawback of a flipover is not the weight itself but having to pull the weight on a big sled (the base) in the snow. Then, it's not so mobile anymore... I have a Quickfish 6. I hardly set it up, unless I'm taking kids or newbs with me. I don't think I have ever set it up for myself.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Put that hut money toward boots, bibs, and parka.
Pretty much. Fishing in a hut is for ladies. I never pop mine up for myself,always for newbs or ladies. Gotta stay mobile. Ice troll is the way to find fish.

·
Registered
7,804 Posts
Pretty much. Fishing in a hut is for ladies. I never pop mine up for myself,always for newbs or ladies. Gotta stay mobile. Ice troll is the way to find fish.
What Tang-a-Lang and Golden Phallus said... I don't don't use a hut cuz I'm a cheap. Plus, I like to mooooove, *****! (get out da way!)

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
What Tang-a-Lang and Golden Phallus said... I don't don't use a hut cuz I'm a cheap. Plus, I like to mooooove, *****! (get out da way!)
if it takes too long to move then you are using a crappy shelter..the good flip overs take no time at all to move from one spot to another... i have a clam fish trap voyager (when fishing with a friend) and a clam fish trap pro for just me and these things are amazingly durable if you take care of em, something to think about (longevity) and it takes me no time at all to pack up and move.

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
When your in the right spot, no need to move.
Nice being comfortable, lawn chairs, t shirts and beverages.

1 - 20 of 106 Posts