Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey all. Im new to fishing for wipers in Colorado area. I moved here 8 years ago from Massachusetts. I was really in to surfcasting for stripers and I'm now going to chase wipwrs.
I'm really just looking for help in rod length and lure rating. I'm looking at 3 rods all spinning
Rating
7ft lure rating 1/4oz -3/4 oz medium heavy- fast action
7ft 4 inch lure rating 1/4oz- 1 oz medium heavy- fast action
8ft lure rating 1/2 oz- 1 1/2 oz heavy- fast action
I'm leaning toward the 7ft myself but would really like opinions on what's a better rated rod.
Fishing will be done from shore not a boat
Thanks

·
Registered
404 Posts
It depends what you're throwing. I mainly throw soft plastic swimbaits and use a 7ft med-fast action. I'll also troll flicker shads and that set up works fine for that application, as well. Do a YouTube search for "Kansas Angling Experience". That dude's a guide in Kansas, but the info translates well to Colorado. He's got videos that are specific for what he's throwing, ie. he'll have a swimbait setup, a jigging rap set up and a jigging spoon set up for wiper. There's some really good info on his videos. Hope this helps, and welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes this is very helpful. Thank you. I mainly like to throw soft plastics my self when fishing for striped bass in the ocean. I figured it would work in fresh also. I will also throw spoons at times. I will check out the videos. Thanks again.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts