Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Kelly and I went to Aspen to see Daniel Tosh and then spent Saturday and today just exploring the west slope. We started fishing Saturday up in Glenwood Canyon because I have always wanted to fish it. It is a heavier and deeper current then I am used to? Fly rods were at home, all I brought was two spinning rods.

I fished all day till about 4 pm on the Colorado and only had two strikes. One brown came unbuttoned and the other was a really pretty 19 inch brown. Flashback gave some good advise where to go up canyon on the Roaring Fork and we gave it a shot. We hooked another four fish up there but nothing real big.

When I got to the section of the Fork I was fishing there were four other fly fisherman in the area. I could feel their disdain for my barbarian spinning tackle almost immediately! I even saw two guys gesture our way and start laughing:mad: Then these guys catch about a 2 lb bow and proceed to give it their best CF stiff arm, and take about a dozen pictures of the thing::) Right after that Kelly rolled what looked to be about 20" bow that unfortunately threw her little jerkbait. God I would of loved to have seen their faces if she had landed it;D Don't know why people can't just enjoy the day and not be such tools! Anyway it was a great trip and saw some beautiful country!

Attachments

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I like to fly fish? I spent my whole 30s and a couple of years of my 40s pretty much just fly fishing and ice fishing. I just don't get the elitest attitude a bunch of those guys have??? One guy stayed out of a particular run while two other guys fly fished. Then when I was there later he moved up and started drifting right thru my run. I felt like bouncing a Pins Minnow right off his forehead but I refrained, LOL

·
Registered
4,800 Posts
I was there this weekend myself. Did pretty good and some big bows on the lower fork and on the Colorado below the confluence. #9 Rapala ruled the day.

·
Registered
991 Posts
I love the Fork. I mostly flyfish on the upper stretches though. One of my favorite parts of Colorado...

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Nice fish and story.

Typical "my rod and technique are superior to yours" type of arrogance that is all too common on rivers and streams here in Colorado. It's a shame we can't be more courteous to each other and just enjoy a great sport without the B.S. After all we are all after the same thing- catching fish and trying to get away from work and life's stress.

·
Registered
592 Posts
I dunno, kinda tired of hearing groups of sportsmen bad mouth each other all the time...

·
P I K E
10,111 Posts
I went and cleaned up this thread that went into a total bash session in a fishing report that has never been allowed and never will. I apologized to Neal and told him what I was doing and why so lets give Neal and Kelly a kudos on a nice trip and leave the BS out of his thread! We have members here that belong to the club that was bashed and have never heard them bash anybody online here so lets leave it on the water or behind the barn!!! Make Love...Not War! :grouphug: :biggrin1:

Good job on the river Neal and Kelly, THX for sharing!!!

·
P I K E
10,111 Posts
Yeah bud, I'll explain more in my own post later!

·
Registered
225 Posts
First, nice fish. Second, Im jealous. Tosh is fricken hilarious, I bet it was great.

Third, fishing near Aspen, on a "famous" river, with a bunch of rich dudes, you will absolutely get that reaction. Sucks, but it is what it is. I throw a lot of streamers up there and even with a Fly Rod I get a stink Eye.

Glad you just had a good time and caught fish on a tremendous river.

·
Registered
541 Posts
First, nice fish. Second, Im jealous. Tosh is fricken hilarious, I bet it was great.

Third, fishing near Aspen, on a "famous" river, with a bunch of rich dudes, you will absolutely get that reaction. Sucks, but it is what it is. I throw a lot of streamers up there and even with a Fly Rod I get a stink Eye.

Glad you just had a good time and caught fish on a tremendous river.
Yup, this. I fish almost exclusively with a fly rod these days but more power to ya if you're rippin lips with some gear! Copper colored Acme Phoebes were my go-to back in the day. Not a huge fan of bait-chuckers though, but to each their own...

1 - 20 of 29 Posts