Colorado Fisherman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
First, let me thank those of you who posted pictures of your lures in my thread titled “Show me your lure.” I even had one member PM me with a recommendation on a lure that I probably would never have tried without his recommendation. :cool::thumb: With that said, I can catch fish with my own lures... Some lakes and ponds have started to open up in the metro area. My first session last week was a bust. On the other hand, yesterday was my best early ice off day ever.

I was supposed to meet up with a friend yesterday at an agreed upon location. He wasn’t there when I got there. I got a text from him stating that he’d meet me somewhere else... And he’d come later… And he’d fish a different area… I hate it when people don’t follow through… I still count him as a friend though… I know you are going to read this, buddy… :D To cut to the chase, I ended up not having a cameraman on a day when I actually needed one.

I got to the lake around 5:30PM and started throwing a 5.5” Smithwick Limited Rogue. I had brought two rods: one with the Rogue and one with a DUO Realis 120SP. The Rogue went on the spinning rod because it doesn’t cast as well as the DUO (yeah, yeah, good fishermen can cast just as far on a baitcaster). I chose to throw the Rogue first because it doesn’t dive as deep as the DUO. About 5 minutes after my first cast, I saw a boil about 12 ft from shore. I didn’t see the fish but judging by the size of the boil, I thought it might have been a trout on the smaller side. A thought cross my mind at that point: could it be a big walleye chasing a stocker trout? As my lure got close to the area of the boil, I got a hit. It wasn’t a shy hit and the fish started running right away. I immediately started to think that it might just be a trout. But the fish settled down a bit and I could tell by the big headshakes that this was no trout. First fish of the night, a 28”, 9lb walleye:

Usually, I don’t catch more than one big fish in a single spot but I continued throwing the same Rogue after I released the first fish. About five minutes later, and probably 30ft away at a different angle, I get another hit. This was also an aggressive hit but I knew it was a walleye because it didn’t start moving as fast as the first one. Second fish of the night, a 27”, 8lb walleye:

Usually, I don’t catch more than two big fish in a single spot but, hey, I was on a roll, so why not? By that time, I had more confidence in the depth of the spot I was fishing, so I started throwing the DUO. It took longer and I almost moved after 10 minutes. Then I got what felt like a snag. I set the hook lightly anyway (that’s my standard procedure when in doubt). It didn’t move. I am snagged, I thought. I start pulling on the line and it moves… This third fish was 31” but skinny and only weighed 9lb. No picture. I have a cheap phone and the cold was starting to affect the battery. Every time I tried to take a picture, the phone would power itself off. I tried a couple of times and just gave up and let the fish go. The bite died down after that third fish, so I moved on to a different spot.

I knew from past experiences that my phone would be fine again if I warmed it up. There was only one spot warm enough: my underwear. :embarassed: I didn’t want to take any chances... What if I caught the fish of a lifetime? It was on fire! Anything could have happened on that full moon with a walleye chop on the water! Anyway, it did work and I was able to snap a picture of the last fish of the night:

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
EDIT: I totally agree with you about the Rogues too. Great lures, cast like ****. Need a weight transfer system in them.
What really sucks is that they don't make those limited rogues anymore. I have a personal stash of about a dozen, but it won't last forever. If anyone wants to get rid of theirs, feel free to PM me.

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yep! I'm down to my last half dozen or so...I keep repairing my broken ones! :D:D
I kicked myself for not picking up SS' Limited Rogues back then. BUT I didn't know they were going to discontinue them. I frantically PMed him later, just to see if he had some more. :D But yeah, they don't cast well at all, so if anyone has some... :D

1 - 20 of 81 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.