Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
First, let me thank those of you who posted pictures of your lures in my thread titled “Show me your lure.” I even had one member PM me with a recommendation on a lure that I probably would never have tried without his recommendation. :cool::thumb: With that said, I can catch fish with my own lures... Some lakes and ponds have started to open up in the metro area. My first session last week was a bust. On the other hand, yesterday was my best early ice off day ever.

I was supposed to meet up with a friend yesterday at an agreed upon location. He wasn’t there when I got there. I got a text from him stating that he’d meet me somewhere else... And he’d come later… And he’d fish a different area… I hate it when people don’t follow through… I still count him as a friend though… I know you are going to read this, buddy… :D To cut to the chase, I ended up not having a cameraman on a day when I actually needed one.

I got to the lake around 5:30PM and started throwing a 5.5” Smithwick Limited Rogue. I had brought two rods: one with the Rogue and one with a DUO Realis 120SP. The Rogue went on the spinning rod because it doesn’t cast as well as the DUO (yeah, yeah, good fishermen can cast just as far on a baitcaster). I chose to throw the Rogue first because it doesn’t dive as deep as the DUO. About 5 minutes after my first cast, I saw a boil about 12 ft from shore. I didn’t see the fish but judging by the size of the boil, I thought it might have been a trout on the smaller side. A thought cross my mind at that point: could it be a big walleye chasing a stocker trout? As my lure got close to the area of the boil, I got a hit. It wasn’t a shy hit and the fish started running right away. I immediately started to think that it might just be a trout. But the fish settled down a bit and I could tell by the big headshakes that this was no trout. First fish of the night, a 28”, 9lb walleye:

Usually, I don’t catch more than one big fish in a single spot but I continued throwing the same Rogue after I released the first fish. About five minutes later, and probably 30ft away at a different angle, I get another hit. This was also an aggressive hit but I knew it was a walleye because it didn’t start moving as fast as the first one. Second fish of the night, a 27”, 8lb walleye:

Usually, I don’t catch more than two big fish in a single spot but, hey, I was on a roll, so why not? By that time, I had more confidence in the depth of the spot I was fishing, so I started throwing the DUO. It took longer and I almost moved after 10 minutes. Then I got what felt like a snag. I set the hook lightly anyway (that’s my standard procedure when in doubt). It didn’t move. I am snagged, I thought. I start pulling on the line and it moves… This third fish was 31” but skinny and only weighed 9lb. No picture. I have a cheap phone and the cold was starting to affect the battery. Every time I tried to take a picture, the phone would power itself off. I tried a couple of times and just gave up and let the fish go. The bite died down after that third fish, so I moved on to a different spot.

I knew from past experiences that my phone would be fine again if I warmed it up. There was only one spot warm enough: my underwear. :embarassed: I didn’t want to take any chances... What if I caught the fish of a lifetime? It was on fire! Anything could have happened on that full moon with a walleye chop on the water! Anyway, it did work and I was able to snap a picture of the last fish of the night:

·
Registered
6,684 Posts
Nice eyes!! All 3 bigger than any i have ever caught LOL. Thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Rather be skunked and warm-

Didja eat 'em?
Sir, with all due respect, you need a tongue in cheek icon after that first sentence! :D

The smaller one is going in the fryer tonight. Others swam away.

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
That's the way to kick off the season8) Nice work!
Yeah, that was sweet to catch something bigger than 20" (which is all I got under the ice in terms of walleyes).

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
EDIT: I totally agree with you about the Rogues too. Great lures, cast like ****. Need a weight transfer system in them.
What really sucks is that they don't make those limited rogues anymore. I have a personal stash of about a dozen, but it won't last forever. If anyone wants to get rid of theirs, feel free to PM me.

·
Registered
7,804 Posts
What really sucks is that they don't make those limited rogues anymore. I have a personal stash of about a dozen, but it won't last forever. If anyone wants to get rid of theirs, feel free to PM me.
Yep! I'm down to my last half dozen or so...I keep repairing my broken ones! :D:D

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
NICE!

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yep! I'm down to my last half dozen or so...I keep repairing my broken ones! :D:D
I kicked myself for not picking up SS' Limited Rogues back then. BUT I didn't know they were going to discontinue them. I frantically PMed him later, just to see if he had some more. :D But yeah, they don't cast well at all, so if anyone has some... :D

1 - 20 of 81 Posts