Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

I Don't Eat the Fish I Catch

5K views 26 replies 16 participants last post by  Dr Cro 
#1 ·
If it’s a legal catch and you want to keep it, no one is stopping you. If you do end up catching that biggun what are the odds that you’ll remember what those guys on a fishing forum said about C&R? I’m not writing to trash those whom keep big fish and/or eat their catch but merely want to share my own thoughts on sport fishing…..

I don’t eat the fish I catch because to me angling is more a sport in the sense that we no longer have to fish for survival. I believe a sportsman knows he can catch fish and keep his trophy catch but opts not to….. this angler is aware that there are plenty of eater sized fish and recognizes a trophy fish returned gives others the chance to experience the fight of a lifetime. Fishing is a craft and for me it’s about the chase. I’d say for a sportsman ignorance isn’t bliss and educating oneself on why those big fish ought to be released helps foster this growing desire to help fisheries thrive. It is in this approach to fishing where one will learn to respect not just the fish but the way in which we go about this wonderful sport. Some large fish will in deed end up on the dinner table but to keep it just because you can, shouldn’t be why you do….. Especially if you have the skill to catch the million other eaters swimming around.

#2 ·
Reminds me of trophy elk hunters getting mad at me for having no interest in antlers, because I leave them on the ground.

I eat fish I catch. Big or small. I have no interest in torturing fish for my pleasure.

In the past everybody ate the fish they caught. You want real conservation to keep numbers up? Don't fish! Then, none of them will die. 10%-15% of fish die from C&R. Even when they swim away when released.

#6 · (Edited)
Fishing for me is a sport, not a food source. But the regs are there for catch and keep anglers and for the most part they seem reasonable for the warm water species I chase.

In the past everybody did eat the fish they caught. They also had a black and white TV, cloth diapers and used the rhythm method to keep from getting pregnant. Thank God things change.

#14 ·
Nice post young Mackinaw.

If you do end up catching that biggun what are the odds that you’ll remember what those guys on a fishing forum said about C&R?
Who cares what someone else says or thinks about keeping a few fish? It's every person's right to keep fish (big or small) so long as they are within the legal limits and guidelines set forth by the state they caught them in. While I don't keep many large predators; I have kept a few to eat (properly prepared there is little to no difference in taste-IMHO). But, I am very selective on what species they are and from what body of water.

My biggest gripe is with those who set the guidelines for sizes and quantities allowed to be kept of certain species. Some of the size limits on certain lakes needs to be seriously addressed as well. We all know a certain lake that could use some better guidelines for 'eyes and bass as well as a few others that need some diversity of species to improve those fisheries (Don't get me started on the whole kokanee vs lake trout thing or the lack of wipers in certain lakes due to the fear of them harming other precious fish:mad:).

#16 ·
Ninja,

I'm beginning to believe Pueblo will never have a slot on walleye or bass. I talked to a park ranger once about that and how it would improve the fishing and his answer was Pueblo was a lake where just about anybody could catch "something" and thats what they wanted. Far less concerned with managing it for trophy potential.

Given that, you can go to pueblo and catch 11-13" spots and smallies all day long. It is exactly what they want it to be.

#17 ·
I don't think it would change the catchable fish numbers by much if at all... Numbers in other states that use slot limits haven't been hurt, in fact, maybe the opposite. It still boils down to the fact that the novice angler will struggle until he or she works a little. Man, Pueblo would be such an insane fishery with a couple slot limits...

#25 ·
I don't know about the %10-15. If you made the fish bleed badly with your hook or hook it deep and cut the line the infection from the hook or it bleeding slowly will kill it, that is why I love using lures , the chances of just getting it's lip only is great.

Using singers with dual hooks, I've had to end up taking some fish.

#26 ·
They don't have to bleed to die. Sometimes it's exhaustion. Sometimes it's handled badly and some of the protective film is removed. That leads to infection and the fish may die days after you caught it.

I got the 10-15% from a biologist who works for the DOW. Who am I to argue with him?

#27 ·
I'm sure that number is accurate. I love fishing as a sport. I make sure removing the hook and returning takes as short amount of time as possible, which is usually within 5-8 seconds. if i feel like i've made it bleed too much than i'll keep it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.