Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I don't expect to get a whole lot of response on this, but I will try. I know that if someone knows of a good spot, they tend to keep it for themselves. Also, I haven't contributed a whole lot to the forums lately. I am in medical school, and when school starts, it's a 14 hour a day job. But I've got an easier week this week and my wife and daughter are out of town, so I was hoping I could get in maybe an hour or two here or there.

Where should I try (within 20 minutes of parker)? What is working? I am looking to target trout or bass, and I'm still semi new-ish.

I'm a C&R guy, so don't worry about me ruining anything, and you can PM me to keep successful spots quiet. Like I said though, I'll be surprised if I get more than one or two solid leads.

Thanks though, if you do. I'll hook you up in a few years when I'm a Dr. :)

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
What are you going to med school for? I see residents and med students all day long, if your ever at DH let me know. As far as fishing I have no idea unless your up north.

·
Registered
24,509 Posts
I havent been there in a couple of years but Bingham in parker used to be good...

And aurora is the best denver metro area fishery...go walk the dam and throw stickbaits and spoons early and late for trout bass and walleyes...

·
Registered
725 Posts
zman said:
I havent been there in a couple of years but Bingham in parker used to be good...

And aurora is the best denver metro area fishery...go walk the dam and throw stickbaits and spoons early and late for trout bass and walleyes...
X2 - I don't have any DL spots on the south side

Also the dam at Chattie can be productive with spoons and jerk baits but be prepared to lose a few on the rocks. The platte above Chattie is low but from the first south ponds to the farthest south pond can be productive. Find the deeper cuts and holes with a CD3 or F5 rapala and you'll get some browns/bows w/ occational SM or Eye. Most days you'll have the place to yourself.

·
Registered
24,509 Posts
Reverse psychology has nothing to do with help. If you did a search of fishing reports where guys fish from shore you would see a common denominator rip rap and dam areas during low light times with stick baits, spoons or bait. Sooner or later fish use deep water routes to go shallow to find food. Not all the fish in the lake but a significant proportion. Do they do this all the time? No but they do it some of the time and if you go enough and are willing to put up with a few skunks sooner or later you will intercept the fish. Occassionally a few monsters to boot. Skunks or no skunks...fishing beats not fishing...and with going plenty you begin to recognize not all rip rap and dam areas are created equally. That you will have to figure out on your own.

·
Registered
11,844 Posts
zman said:
Reverse psychology has nothing to do with help. If you did a search of fishing reports where guys fish from shore you would see a common denominator rip rap and dam areas during low light times with stick baits, spoons or bait. Sooner or later fish use deep water routes to go shallow to find food. Not all the fish in the lake but a significant proportion. Do they do this all the time? No but they do it some of the time and if you go enough and are willing to put up with a few skunks sooner or later you will intercept the fish. Occassionally a few monsters to boot. Skunks or no skunks...fishing beats not fishing...and with going plenty you begin to recognize not all rip rap and dam areas are created equally. That you will have to figure out on your own.
That's gold Jerry GOLD!

·
Registered
7,804 Posts
theo9805 said:
nice use of reverse psychology ;)
zman said:
I believe he was refering to the thread starter... But good info nonetheless, Z. ;)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Last I heard, Denver Water was supposed to be dredging Strontia Springs reservoir. Has anyone seen any muddy water between there and Chatfield?

Chatfield is usually good for bait fishing - try on the east side of the south pier. If you're looking for some decent river fishing, try Waterton Canyon. This might still be closed for dredging, but this is the start of the Colorado Trail. It's also a little further than 20 min from Parker, but you can expect at least a few bows and browns in the sub-12" range.

As far as bass and other warm-water fish, any local pond will typically give you better results than the larger reservoirs around town. That's just what I've seen, though most of my experience is river fishing.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts