Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got to the spot about 10 minutes before the rain. Took forever to inflate this raft... I REALLY need to get an electric pump. LOL

Started off great, nice warm(ish) fog, cruising smoothly through the calm water.... And then it poured on us. We stayed and tried to fish, but it wasn't very pleasant sitting down in a wet raft.

Did mark a few nice fish.

Cold, wet, no fish... but had a FREAKIN BLAST WITH THE BOY!!!!

We'll be back out as soon as possible and we're gonna boat some fish. Thanks for reading.

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not, but that's how it's displaying primarily.

If you look at the pic, there is blue at the top of the column and in the middle of the fish. I don't know why it is displaying this way, but sensitivity adjustments don't fix it.

I'll play around with a bit more tonight.

I'm used to vibrant oranges and reds.

·
Registered
24,568 Posts
I can't imagine pumping my raft up without an electric pump, I bet that was fun!!
Wow no sheet call 976 OWEN BLOWS!...lol

The only majore drawback to a raft like this...any little bit of water in it finds u!

Great job fellas!...

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have a manual pump that came with the raft. Takes about 20 minutes to inflate the raft from empty to sea-worthy... Wears me out, man...

Thanks for the replies, guys. :). Good day.

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have an AC inverter for the cigarette lighter... Any pump'll do.

(that's what she said)

·
Registered
3,730 Posts
I have an AC inverter for the cigarette lighter... Any pump'll do.

(that's what she said)
I haven't tried it off an inverter, but I will tell you it pulls a lot of power. I have a Yamaha inverter generator, and it pulls it off the "eco mode" when I turn it on.

That said, it is a great pump. I can blow up my niece/nephews 3-man ski tube in just a few minutes. Takes less than a minute to blow up a king size air mattress.

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Nice!

Are you using the finder in greyscale?

Found the issue.

For some reason I am having to reset the ColorLine setting each time I go from Auto-sensitivity to manual.

Not sure why this is happening, as I don't think it is a "feature". Perhaps it just happened when my battery died all the way out a few weeks ago and the unit was not properly shut off.

I had been making some adjustments on color during my last fishing trip (when we rented the Jon boat) and finally had it where I wanted it... Blues and purples for smaller marks, warmer colors for bigger marks. Shortly thereafter I turned it on to check battery and that's when the battery died... Right after I turned it on.

Must have gone wonky on me.

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Question for you boat anglers out there...

In the pic above where we had the fish in the sonar cone, we were rowing nicely along with a tube jig tipped with a piece of worm about 15' behind the boat.

When I saw that mark, my first instinct was, "Stop and fish to that fish!" My second instinct was, "Troll through the mark, then turn around and run his ass over again!"

As it turned out, we stopped, jigged down on the fish, and it split on us.

I'm brand new to this boat stuff... What should I have done?

What would YOU have done in my place?

·
Registered
24,568 Posts
Trolling 15 feet behind the boat with a tube jig...where was the tube jig (ticking the bottom?...4 feet below the fish?)...what was the water clarity?...would the fish have known the jig was there?...fish eyes aim even to up...lakers in clear water will zoom down and hit a tube jig you are swimming and banging on the bottom...I would of fan casted or gotten a lure in the 14 foot range on a slow troll or slip bobbered bait to that depth...what species do you feel it was...were all the fish on the graph at 15?...not enough info...

·
Registered
6,684 Posts
I dont know many people who will fish for 1 fish.... Unless it is a massive mark!!

Personally(and keep in mind my limited experience) I woud have kept looking until i found multiple fish in 1 spot.

Just My Opinion and like i said I have limited knowledge and am always learning.

I also wanted to mention an easy technique that can catch basically any species of fish.... You may know about it already but i still wanted to mention it ... it's called Lindy rigging....

Here is 1 variation... people mix it up by adding beads and spinners ect...

I have had luck catching Bass, Trout, Walleye, perch, and Sunfish using this method. It's an easy method for beginning boaters IMO.

Obviously you can use diff. weights and size of hooks depending on the situation.. but that gives you a general idea.... You just rig it up and drag it behind the boat.(I like to drift if possible but will drag with the TM if need be)

Works great for kids :) My son got a 15" smallie at chatty on a lindy with nightcrawler.

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks guys...

I was using a rig very similar to that pix... 1/2 oz egg sinker. Based on previous catches at this lake, it was likely a bass or shellcracker. Based on other marks from the trip, this was a larger fish.

Based on trolling speed and the amount of weight I was using and the angle of the line, I would guess the rig was about 10-14 feet down.

I would have cruised on by, looking for multiple marks, but marks were tough to come by... I think they were all sitting on the bottom or huddled up under stuff for whatever reason. Water temp was 47, so more walleye or perch weather than LMB.

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Tomorrow (assuming weather permits) we are hitting up Hidden Lake (AKA Buck Branch, AKA Lake 62) on Meadow Creek. This lake has a healthy yellow perch population and I'm hoping we can get into em on the raft. Paste the following coordinates into google maps to see the lake.

It doesn't show up on the "maps" portion, but if you go into sattelite view you can see it. For some reason google hasn't added it to their maps, and that's fine with me... Tougher to find.

36.116436,-85.186315

The perch are hugging the main channel down the snake portion of the lake... My buddy is a bass fisherman and doesn't care for perch at all, but catches them as bycatch fairly regularly, many up to 13-14 inches. (Pix verified)

Would you suggest the Lindy with crawlers? Minnows are virtually impossible to find for sale up here and crawlers and red worms are in every gas station on every corner in this town.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts