Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I guess this may clear up some of those, "Where were you when Bush was pushing through the patriot act and your cry about the constitution?"
In a defeat last night for House Republican leaders, legislation to extend certain Patriot Act programs was unable to get the two-thirds vote needed for passage as 26 Republicans voted no, including seven freshmen who are associated with the Tea Party. Per NBC’s Luke Russert, the vote -- 277 to 148 -- represented the first insurrection against the House GOP leadership by its freshman members since it was expected to pass easily. House Judiciary Committee Chairman Lamar Smith (R-TX) blamed Democrats for the defeat. “I am surprised that so many Democrats who supported an extension of these very same provisions last Congress suddenly changed their votes,” he said in a statement. “It’s unfortunate that partisan politics seems to have prevented so many Democrats from doing what’s best for America’s national security.” But when your party controls the House, and when 26 of your members voted against, it’s hard to pass the blame (and it was the House GOP leaders, after all, who made the decision to bring the bill to the floor under these rules). As Russert notes, had those seven Tea Party freshmen voted yes, the legislation would have passed.
And by my surprise, Obama is looking at something that I agree with, I hope they takes it further. I hope it's not just talk.

Here’s some news out of the White House: “More than two years after the government seized Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac, the Obama administration will recommend phasing out the housing-finance giants and gradually reducing the government's footprint in the mortgage market, according to people familiar with the matter,” the Wall Street Journal says. “The administration is expected to include three options for a post-Fannie and Freddie world when it releases a long-awaited proposal for the future of the nation's $10.6 trillion mortgage market, which could come as soon as Friday. Together with federal agencies, Fannie and Freddie have accounted for nine of 10 new loan originations in the past year.” Can the housing market handle this? How Wall Street responds to this news today could impact which plan gets emphasized. Bottom line: This is a classic trial balloon leak.
http://firstread.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2011/02/09/6017144-first-thoughts-tea-party-defiance

1 - 1 of 1 Posts