Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ever notice that most of the fishing report for Quincy is not a report at all but a recap off all the regs?

I found this pretty funny

[me=Jay_In_Parker]  [/me]

·
Registered
472 Posts
Jay, If I remember right we may have discussed this subject before. Most seemed to agree the CDOW fishing "condition report" is a lot like a broken record of generic info. I love and hate that aspect of their webpage.

On one hand the info never really puts you on that body of water the day things are really HOT. But on the other hand it does give a newbie some basics to work from. Wouldn't it be sweet if they could date the info somehow or at least let you know when something has changed?

I'll also confess that I'm just as guilty as anyone about being hypocritical on what the CDOW releases to the general public. Especially if it is about places I plan on fishing. I kinda like the fact that folks have to really dig for good fishing information or just get plain lucky!

I would love to hear some of the other information sources people use to scrounge up any tidbit of fishing information they hope to use the next time out.

Some of my sources (beyond this XcLnT forum) include:
1. Giving the managing agency a call (local parks and rec. offices, etc.)
2. Irrigation/ditch companies that control the water flow into areas open for public fishing.
3. Fishing buddies

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
We did go through this a while back. Unfortunately some things never change. On the upside the DOW will stop their fishing reports the beginning of Sept. Then all you will have for reports are the sources Matt mentioned.

Dan

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
Yes, I remember the thread about the DOW reports while back as well. I think I even commented about how poor they were. On the other hand, I imagine it is not easy to get accurate information about fishing on lakes throughout the state. Even what you read here can be wrought with lack of specifics and a whole variety of other factors such as weather conditions at the time, number of folks who fished the lake, techniques, location, etc.

So, in the end, I give them credit for making an attempt at something that is probably very difficult.

OK, now, no bashing a supporter of the DOW on this issue, please! ;D I must admit that at work I'm responsible for providing support to other groups and so I am sensitive to the "can't please everybody" side of things...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts