Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
9,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just got back inside from checking out my boat where I found an oil spot under my motor. just a small crack in the lower housing. only will cost about 1500 bucks for a January boat ride

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
I am worried about putting my boat on at lake mac in april and leaving it out there like that, April is a cold month out there still. I think I will probably hold off, your post was slightly persuasive...

·
Registered
3,730 Posts
I am worried about putting my boat on at lake mac in april and leaving it out there like that, April is a cold month out there still. I think I will probably hold off, your post was slightly persuasive...
Before you bail on that idea, I would wait and find out a little more about what happened to WS.

I have done many fishing trips in fall/winter, pulling boat in sub zero temps, and never had a problem. Perhaps just a case of bad luck here.

·
Registered
11,176 Posts
What's the crack in the lower unit look like Byron? If it isn't cracked where the bearings ride..front and rear..but rather just where the oil pools, you may be able to bevel out the crack with a dremel and repair it with JB weld. If you are able to repair..be sure to drill a small hole at each end of the crack.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Before you bail on that idea, I would wait and find out a little more about what happened to WS.

I have done many fishing trips in fall/winter, pulling boat in sub zero temps, and never had a problem. Perhaps just a case of bad luck here.
It just seems like by doing that it defeats the purpose of winterization if I am going to put it on and then leave it for a month out there in a cold garage. Where would you store your boat after the winter trips?

·
Registered
9,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yes it was bad seals and hobie the crack is way high up so I think I will get a new one and repair the cracked one, I was thinking a fiberglass patch but jb weld is easier

·
Registered
3,730 Posts
It just seems like by doing that it defeats the purpose of winterization if I am going to put it on and then leave it for a month out there in a cold garage. Where would you store your boat after the winter trips?
There really isn't any winterizing of a outboard. My point is if you don't have bad seals, and you put your motor vertical before towing/storing, you will be fine.

I will have my boat on the water later this week, and it will be towed through sub-freezing temps on the way there and the way back.

My boats stay in a heated garage.

Good luck with your repair WS.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
My II Cents

Agree with Bionic Man.

Good seals and lower the motor all the way down and let it drain.

My boat stays in the mountains, OUTSIDE. I have fished ice off for years and have had terrible weather in early spring. Below freezing mornings,(high teens too) snow, hail, sleet, you name it I have dealt with it. Fall fishing same thing.

Got caught in hail (saw it coming was thinking snow). It was beating me up, hurting the backs of my hands through my gloves, head and shoulders. By the time I got to the dock I had an inch of hail in the boat.

Pull it out, lower the motor asap so nothing can freeze.

I will also add that if you're concerned about the motor sitting for a while and not fogging it, I wouldn't worry.

·
Registered
9,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I do run my big motor in very shallow water,2-3 feet deep and you can pick up mono on your prop in that case. it is the price you pay for getting where the fish are, I have heard of brand new seals on a new motor that leaked after 15 minutes on the water after picking up mono

·
Registered
24,568 Posts
Really sucks byron...

·
Registered
6,684 Posts
Bummer!! I was worried that a similar situation might happen to me since i did the seals myself last spring..... So just for my peace of mind i drained some of the oil prior to winterizing it and found no water.... Fingers crossed i should be okay.... and i think ill prob check the oil every fall when i winterize it!! Even though i plan on putting in new oil every spring.

·
Registered
11,176 Posts
Bummer!! I was worried that a similar situation might happen to me since i did the seals myself last spring..... So just for my peace of mind i drained some of the oil prior to winterizing it and found no water.... Fingers crossed i should be okay.... and i think ill prob check the oil every fall when i winterize it!! Even though i plan on putting in new oil every spring.
Ricky..For peace of mind, why not change the oil in the fall when you winterize...rather than in the spring?

·
Registered
433 Posts
I was going to say, should be a lot less than $1,500 fix, Sold a used one that would have fit for $275, might be worth checking bone yards around here.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts