Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Instead of starting a bunch of new topics, I will consolidate all my questions into one topic.  Just out of curiosity, I would like to know anything about:

1.  Has anyone ever fished the ponds off 104 between CO BLVD and Riverdale?
     I've been there but never caught anything but bluegills. Heard crappie fishing  can be good.
2.  What about the pond in Northglenn north of 104 on Huron?
3.  Has anyone tried caltalpa dip for catfish?
4.  What's a curly tail grub? (I think it is just a rubber worm with a curly tail)
5.  Is there any lakes by Glenwood Springs I can fish?  All I know about is the CO River and Roaring Fork.
6.  Are the wiper hitting yet anywhere within an hour drive of Denver?
7.  Are there any good fishing spots in actual Fort Collins area?  I know horsetooth, prospect ponds, and the poudre.

Anything helps. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
I'm not from Denver so I cant answer most of your questions but this is a curly tail grub:

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
The pond (Spratt) in Thornton have bass and cats, the lake on Huron also has bass. Both lakes are no bait and can only fish part of the lake for spawn purposes, there is no wading allowed at either. The fishing at Spratt is very good for bass early and late.

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
Around Fort Collins, my son suggests trying Douglas Lake (or reservoir I forget which). He lives near it and fishes it quite often. The lake has stocked trout, but the main attraction is nice big walleyes, and wipers that sometimes go over 30 inches. The only bottom structure is the rocks at the north end dam by the boat launch area. They stock it annually with thousands of little trout, and the walleye and wipers just come in and clean up on those tasty little morsels. You have to match this trout windfall with your lures or you won't get any bites. A Rapala size 14 Husky Jerk is about right, the suspending kind. Retrieve it a little ways to make it dive below the surface, then just let it hang there and retrieve it in little jerks.

·
Registered
804 Posts
The closest reservoirs to Glenwood Springs would be Rifle Gap, Harvey Gap and Ruedi Reservoir. If you wanted to go off the beaten path you could always go to Meadow Creek Lake or Heart Lake Near the Flat Tops.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Douglas is right outside of Wellington. Haven't been there yet this year, but I hear the water level is pretty low.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How about Black Hollow Reservior?  It is west of Fort Collins and is a decent size looking reservior.  Has anyone ever been there or know anything about it? 

Arvada Reservior?  My buddy Brett at Absolute Angler said it's hot right now.  What's the 411 on this place?

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
To answer my own previous question, I checked out Arvada Res. today. Used worms, leeches, powerbait, salmon eggs, lures, fly on bubble, minnows. Only caught one 14" bow on pink power bait which was loaded with eggs. had about half a dozen nibbles but they would just tap once and that was it. Got there around nine. Seen others catch a few. Seems to be a deep lake with very clear water. I could see some rainbows patrolling the shore every now and then. It was a relaxing day though. I am still curious about Black Hollow!!!

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Darnit! epic got the curly tail grub, and Ouray got the lakes. Although he didn't mention ruedi, which is about an hour from glenwood springs. Has numerous rainbow and cutthroat trout, some brown trout, and lots of nice lakers.
Besides the colorado river and roaring fork near glenwood, musky, you can fish other small streams that have a bunch of trout. Hike the grizzly creek trailhead, hike up no name, or foremost fish elk or mitchell creeks up much higher from their confluence. (I'm talkin' miles.) and you can catch all four common species of trout.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts