Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started my own batch of worms last fall and the population has boomed. If anyone in the Colorado Springs area is interested, please feel free to shoot me a PM.

For a dollar a dozen (I will provide the container and you can had pick them for all I care) you can get the most hardy and lively worms around...Euro crawlers! I have experimented with the poor legless critters and to my surprise they will survive with a hook shoved through them several times for over an hour. They will stay alive for days in frozen soil. I’ve kept them in a little airless spot without moisture for over three weeks. They have lived for over two weeks in a bucket of rain water.

While they are somewhat small as far as night crawlers go this hasn't deterred the fish. There is an odd odor about them, which may have something to do with the garlic I feed them.

Again if you are in a pinch, or just want cheap worms give me a shout!

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
Are these reds or the Canadian variety? I think euro's are red worms, but dont quote me on that. As a teenager in highschool I ran a worm business with red worms, selling the worm casings (poo) and worms, did quite well with the local garden centers, then large commerical grow ops put me under, but it was a great supply of worms, and anybody that fished loved it, free worms for all.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have the reds too. The Euro Crawlers are a bit bigger than the reds but smaller than the Canadians.

The reds I use for composting.

·
Registered
937 Posts
What part of the springs are you in i might try some.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have been asked so here's a pic of the critters...

The little guy in the lower right and in the upper left are the Reds for comparison. The Euros have a lighter colored 'tail'.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts