Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son and I are going to Granby on Saturday. It is the first fishing day we will have since he returned from Basic Training/AIT.

I had to work the day of the Granby get together so was unable to benefit from everyones knowledge that day. Where should we fish and how for lakers and for trout?

We plan on hitting the road at 430a and I will check responses before leaving. Any and all advice will be greatly appreciated.

Hopefully we will do well. (though rumor has it I might have difficulty with a fish as large as a laker...........) :-[

Dan

·
Registered
130 Posts
I was there last weekend . Did pretty well in the morning on glow ligs with mealworms or tube jig with sucker . The bite was good real early. I would suggest going even earlier . We left at 3:30 , Got on the ice before first light . we used a flasher unit fishing between 35 - 48 feet of water. Most of our fish were real close to the bottom . I had good luck holding the lure about 2-3 feet off the bottom rather than on the bottom . the fish seemed to respond to the lure better a few feet above them . They would come right off the bottom to grab the higher jig than the one closer to the bottom . After about 10.00 we had a lot harder time trying to get a bite .

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Do you have a topo map of the lake?

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
Oh, ;D ;D ;D WE, he dosn't cut anyone much slack....

Granby is a rather big lake with lots of structure. But , finding structure can be kind of hit and miss, I think you need a fish finder and GPS,,,,, yada, yada, yada.

Dan, do you have a snowmobile and GPS?

T

·
Registered
542 Posts
Hope you got there and back ok.They've had a ton of snow up there!You know we're waitin for a report.Hope you ripped em.

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I got 2 my son got shutout. I posted a report in the report session. A guy from the DOW was taking creel surveys and we were about the 20th group he checked. Not a lot of fish being caught. So we were happy that we found a couple!

Dan

1 - 10 of 10 Posts