Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's time for a new bow mount troller and after all the gushing reviews on here I feel like I'll be a pariah on CFF if I don't outfit the old money pit with an I-pilot..

Honestly I can see the benefits of GPS location lock, so the real question is if there is a concise preference between the Motorguide pinpoint gps or the MK I-pilot version and why.

Throw your thoughts out there fellas..

;D

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
The spot lock function on the previous generation i-pilot would not hold your boat in as small of a radius as the pinpoint GPS on the Motorguide. I think Minn Kota solved that. I have used both the old and new generation on the Minn Kota i-pilot. This year, I went with the Motorguide for the simple reason that I prefer Lowrance electronics. The Motorguide motor will “talk” with the Lowrance HDS fish finders. Here is a summary of pros and cons for the MotorGuide Pinpoint GPS:

Pros:
1. A little cheaper than Minn Kota
2. Will talk with Lowrance HDS

Cons:
1. The remote control does not have an LCD screen, which is OK in itself, but it also means that you don’t have a display of the speed at which your boat is moving.
2. The link features between Minn Kota and Hummingbirds are better. You can tell your trolling motor to follow a contour on a map on the Minn Kota / Hummingbird combo. You cannot do that with the Motorguide / Lowrance combo. You can tell it to follow a track and go to a point, but it won’t follow a map contour.

If you are buying used (I should say Minn Kota motor older than 2017), I would go with the Motorguide. If new, the Minn Kota has an edge. I just didn’t want to switch brand on the fish finder. Not having the speed displayed on the remote has not been an issue for me yet. I haven't done any trolling so far with it. But it could become an issue on those rare occasions when I do. ;D

·
Registered
936 Posts
The general consensus is that Motorguide has a more precise spot lock, but MK's new motors are supposed to be just as good if not better.

As for using spot lock, it's a priceless feature. Using your electronics and trolling motor you can get directly on top of fish or structure and start catching fish immediately. If I'm jigging/slipbobbering/dropshotting I don't fish unless I'm right on top of them. It's great.

·
Registered
144 Posts
It's time for a new bow mount troller and after all the gushing reviews on here I feel like I'll be a pariah on CFF if I don't outfit the old money pit with an I-pilot..

Honestly I can see the benefits of GPS location lock, so the real question is if there is a concise preference between the Motorguide pinpoint gps or the MK I-pilot version and why.

Throw your thoughts out there fellas..

;D

Thanks for asking the question, I am in a quandary over which way to go also. I am leaning towards the MG because of the Lowrance issue.

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
I've got a 24volt motor guide on my 19'er that is the ****, instantly holds position well. A 36 volt minnkota on my 23' saltwater boat that I mainly use the anchor mode on, it seems to struggle a little but most likely due to heavier boat, currents etc. Can't go wrong with either.

·
Registered
4,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
First round of "stuff" ordered this week, some arriving today woo hoo!

It's gonna be a process over the next month to get it all bought and hooked up.

Lowrance and Motorguide with the link...

Thanks to all of you that helped, both on the forum, with PM's and via telephone and email.

You know who you are!

Thanks !!

·
Registered
9,266 Posts
Lowrance is putting its own branded motor soon. Not sure what it might offer over the others. Just something to keep in mind

1 - 10 of 10 Posts