Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
when on Minn Kota spot lock, once in a while it will take off and spin around, couple turns and winds the cord up. Is this normal ? Have heard it has happened to others, anyone now what causes one to do that ? :confused:

·
Registered
98 Posts
My last one would wind around a couple times, I'd then have to unwind it with the control. Also after a year of use I'd have to get the remote within 4 feet of it for it to respond. Also, every once in a while it would loose the remote to head connection and I'd have to turn it back on. Got a new head under warranty and this one is much better, no wrap around and has great remote to head range, I can stay all the way at the stern of the boat. The new one will on occasion not respond to speed changes when using the speed control option. I have to turn that off, change speed and turn it back on. These things can be buggy but hard to live without once you get hooked on em.

·
Registered
9,427 Posts
call this guy he should be able to answer your questions

Colorado trolling motors
719-596-7815
cell-719-661-4245
he dose warranty and repair on minkota and motorguide trolling motors

·
Registered
11,847 Posts
Mine does it once every couple months... I think it is confused on which way the cable is tangled because when the spot winds up the cable, it automatically unwinds it now and then.. I think there is a glitch in the programming that makes it think it is unwinding when it is winding. It's not often, so I just deal with it.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
i've taken my motor to him for the neck motor. looks like my motor gps head is out. works when i tap it... lol. looks like i put a few gallons through it too much. mines wayyy out of warranty though... hopefully its affordable. fishin times here.

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
My I-pilot on a Power Drive did the same thing very now and then. I have never seen my friend's i-pilot do that on his Terrova though. His unit does not have a cord; it has the US2. It seems to me the I-pilot and Power is an inferior combo anyway. I agree with Oyey. I think the unit is confused as to which way the cord is tangled. Probably not a glitch; just a limitation on what the unit can possibly know about which way the cord is tangled. It's probably a fail safe to ensure that the unit does not tear up the transducer cord.

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
My I-pilot on a Power Drive did the same thing very now and then. I have never seen my friend's i-pilot do that on his Terrova though. His unit does not have a cord; it has the US2. It seems to me the I-pilot and Power is an inferior combo anyway. I agree with Oyey. I think the unit is confused as to which way the cord is tangled. Probably not a glitch; just a limitation on what the unit can possibly know about which way the cord is tangled. It's probably a fail safe to ensure that the unit does not tear up the transducer cord.
A terrova without a cord? Got a pic?

The unit does, or rather is supposed to keep track of how many times its gone around. I think its like 2, then it'll take and unwind the cord. It knows, as the cord isn't tangled when it starts, then it keeps track of how many times around the head has gone.

I think mine lost its bearings once last year, if that, just did a manual untwist and the hit the lock again. it is amusing watching spin around and untangle itself.

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
A terrova without a cord? Got a pic?
What is the US2 for? So you don't have to run the transducer cord down the shaft. That's what always got caught on mine.

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Everyones talking about the thick cord - carries power to the head.
How do you know that from the posts? You are just assuming, but maybe they are. I never had problems with that cord. It's less prone to get caught because I haven't experienced it and have not seen it on my friend's boat.

·
Registered
98 Posts
A little trick to try for that external transducer cord. Cut a length of light duty bungee cord and create a little slack in the transducer cord just below the head, then tape the bungee so it maintains tension on the cord going down the shaft but it will give as the head rotates. Less chance of the cord hitting the prop.

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
How do you know that from the posts? You are just assuming, but maybe they are. I never had problems with that cord. It's less prone to get caught because I haven't experienced it and have not seen it on my friend's boat.
Whoa man, no disrespect intended!

Its a common compliant, and I know a few of the guys talking about it have terrovas. People arent talking about it getting caught, they are talking about it wrapping too many times and not auto unwrapping like its supposed, or as Oyey said, maybe a programming/firmware glitch. Seems its supposed to be 1.5 times around, then its supposed go the opposite way to unwind the cord.

One iof the many threads and I think the manual talks about how its supposed to work.
http://www.walleyecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=180490

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Whoa man, no disrespect intended!

Its a common compliant, and I know a few of the guys talking about it have terrovas. People arent talking about it getting caught, they are talking about it wrapping too many times and not auto unwrapping like its supposed, or as Oyey said, maybe a programming/firmware glitch. Seems its supposed to be 1.5 times around, then its supposed go the opposite way to unwind the cord.

One iof the many threads and I think the manual talks about how its supposed to work.
http://www.walleyecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=180490
No disrespect taken... "Getting caught" vs "Getting wrapped": I understand what people are talking about, and I am talking about the same thing. The cord? No one specified. One cord (power) is coiled, which gives it more room to maneuver; the other cord (transducer) is a straight wire. It gets wrapped, caught, whatever you want to call it much easier than the other one when the unit is turning to maintain spot lock. I was just speaking from my experience with my set up. If it isn't what people are talking about then, I'll move on.

·
Registered
16,630 Posts
Yah Lihn I knew exactly which cord they were talking about also. Us boat people know these things!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts