Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
Has been out for a while along with several others...
Crazy for sure and definitely enthusiast only reel. A lot of people will buy it as a display piece and never fish it.
It is a sick sick reel but WAY out of my price range. Under 7 ounces for a round reel that holds 120 yards of 14lb test (more like 12lb us line) is super sick!

I am good with my Calcutta tedc 200 :D

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
I was surprised to see the boat I went out on in Panama had stella 10,000 reels for light tackle, He said they were the only spinning reel that would hold up to a big tuna and with the rod they were close to a thousand each. He said he had a guy burn his finger with a fish on and drop one overboard, He told him to go ahead and keep fishing but to plan on getting his wallet out and paying for it when they got back. Seems like I am to hard on gear to go top of the line.

·
Registered
4,799 Posts
Have two and love them. I matched them to a Kisler rod and combined the total setup is only 15.7 ozs. I can feel a fish fart if he's within a 50' radius.

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
Trout said:
Have two and love them. I matched them to a Kisler rod and combined the total setup is only 15.7 ozs. I can feel a fish fart if he's within a 50' radius.
Dang that is one heavy rod :D
I prefer under 10oz's but to each their own :D ;D

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
I'll be glad to test fish one...then advertise..and hopefully get one for free. :D

D.J.

·
Registered
4,799 Posts
Boondock said:
Trout said:
Thats total weight Boon rod and reel. What do you think only the Pueblo gang has fancy gear.

·
Registered
386 Posts
The Shimano Stella reels I find are very pricey and worth it. I fish a lot, (125-150) trips a year so It's a little easier to justify it. Once you fish with this tackle you are spoiled for sure. I know there not for everyone, but if you take care of your stuff and use it enough to justify the expense, you'll have them for a lifetime.

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
Trout said:
Boondock said:
Trout said:
Thats total weight Boon rod and reel. What do you think only the Pueblo gang has fancy gear.
Lol I know that is heavy! I am talking total weight also....
Under 10oz's is sick! 15-16oz is a normal combo.... 5-6oz rod 8-10oz reel plus line.
I agree anteroman. Nice to fish with high end gear.

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Boondock said:
I am good with my Calcutta tedc 200 :D
Are you sure? I mean that is really not that great of a reel, I'll give you a $100 bucks for it and you will be 1/10th of your way there for buying this reel! ;D

·
Registered
816 Posts
If I had the money I would buy for sure, probably be a sweet crankin reel or other stuff like big heavy blades in that deep water. The good gear is awesome and makes fishing that more enjoyable. I have a few TD ito's and they are a blast to fish with even though they are very tempermental and react greatly to little adjustments on your spool tension and brakes, super fast reels and easy to backlash.

I can guarantee you that Cal over on Tackle Tour has one of these Megabass rounders or will have that reel, that guy is an animal when it comes to JDM stuff. I saw a pic of his where it was a big multi droor tool box filled with all the JDM Ito's, Alpha itos, different colored TDZ's, Millionaires etc etc.

High end tackle is great if you got the money. You don't need it to catch fish but the good stuff makes me happy when i can afford it.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Trout said:
One of my fav outfits is a Daiwa Steez 2508 with a Croix Xtreme 69mlxf. 10.2 oz total. 15.7 oz is tarpon tackle by comparison.

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I think I might be better off having no idea what my gear weighs. It would probably scare me. :p

It all seems heavy compared to my three weight... but I have such a hard time tossing jigs on that thing...

SS

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
A $1000 casting reel. Well, since there have been spinning reels (Van Staal was the first think) that approached that mark, I'm not surprised.

For the same money I could upgrade my swimbait setup and get:
Shimano Calcutta TE401 - $369
Dobyns Champion swimbait rod - $250
Triple Fish Camoescent line (25-lb, 2100 yd spool) - $40
316 Freestyle swimbaits (2 at $130 ea.) - $260
A handful of Hudds (3 at $25 ea.) - $75
And still have $6 left over to buy some heavy snaps!

Of course, if I either bought a $1000 casting reel or dropped $1000 in a single buying spree, I'd probably find myself wearing concrete shoes at the deep end of Horsetooth.

On the issue of rod/reel weight, I'm afraid to think about how much some of my set-ups weigh, especially the bigger swimbait rigs. Of course, I wonder how much it matters when I spend the day (or at least dream of spending the day) tossing 5 ounce lures. Sensitivity and lightness matter, but not as much as say with drop-shotting, or crawling a jig.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts