Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my grandpa has some mounts of some grayling that his uncle caught in alaska i think. they look really cool, and i want to catch some myself. i know there are some lakes in colorado that have grayling but i dont know which ones...any help? also was wondering what the best time of year was for them and if you fish them similar to trout? thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
There are grayling in Joe Wright resevior. Also I think in Pearl near Steamboat. JW usually stays frozen untill may. I have heard they are relitivley easy to catch. I am looking forward to my first one this year.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Big Creek lakes, Joe Wright res., and Pearl lake all hold Grayling. They have small mouths that are located on the underneath side of there heads. Use small flies and let them take it good before setting the hook.

L

·
0 Posts
I have never targeted them here but you can catch them easily on flies just like trout. They have a mouth similar to whitefish, don't try to muscle them.

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
you can pretty much catch a hundred grayling at joe wright when the ice comes off,we used kastmasters and other various bright lures. you can see them swimming all over the coves there in the summer. i took my girlfriend there last summer to catch her first. they are a lot smaller than they used to be 3 or 4 years ago.must be way too many in there.

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
I would add Pomeroy Lakes near Salida has grayling in them, not as much as they use to have from what I hear but they are still there. It is also a nice cutthroat fishery too.
It requires 4wd and high ground clearence to get to it and about a 1.5 mile hike above 12,000ft so be prepared when heading out to this one.

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
sndmn11 said:
so are they good to eat?
They are related to the trout family so I dont see why not. I heard they are a pretty boney fish though.

·
Registered
7,704 Posts
Epic, Jamie, Laker, Lunker, and Hatch --- nice info, thanks!
I heard they were disapeering from Pearl?
I'm going after some this year also. Hatch, if you head up to Joe Wright, let me know.

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Wasn't Pearl poisoned and restocked with greenbacks?

james I plan on hitting Joe Wright this year as well for the grayling, but it will be well into the summer before I do.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Epic and James I will let you guys know when it is time to hit up JW. It will have to be in summer because it stays frozen untill May. I will have to go back in the summer, I went up this winter and had weather so bad that I must not speak of it or I fear it will come again.

·
Registered
83 Posts
ePiC said:
Wasn't Pearl poisoned and restocked with greenbacks?

james I plan on hitting Joe Wright this year as well for the grayling, but it will be well into the summer before I do.

I think you may be referring to Zimmerman above Joe Wright. They trucked as many of the grayling down the mountain as they could and put them into JW then rotenone'd (sp?) Zimmerman and restocked it with greenbacks.

I was kinda bummed by this because Zimmerman was a neat little lake to hike to and catch 20 grayling an hour.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
They killed off Zimmerman last year because the greenbacks were not pure and they were not recieving funding. They restocked it but they will be small for a while.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts