Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Man... summer is rough. The fishing slows down for shore scum like me, it gets hot AF, the waters are overrun with paddleboarders and other hoodlums... I am feeling like it is about time that I get high... I am thinking around 11,000 feet high. Hoping to find some fat Brookies or Cutthroat.

Anyone get out in the high country yet this year?

·
Registered
16,613 Posts
Been on Rollins Pass lately. Drove up from winter park short hike to a couple lakes. Short hike equals short fish.

East portal side has some good solid fish if you hike 3-5 miles. Kinda crowded though.

Abyss lake is 12,650 has long cuttys. Also long hike. You wont see anyone else-

·
Registered
24 Posts
What about your high laker lakes Slayer? I had to ask lol, I need to find me some places like that. I would hike several miles to find lakes with those in it.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Been on Rollins Pass lately. Drove up from winter park short hike to a couple lakes. Short hike equals short fish.

East portal side has some good solid fish if you hike 3-5 miles. Kinda crowded though.

Abyss lake is 12,650 has long cuttys. Also long hike. You wont see anyone else-
I have done a 3.5 mile hike in east portal two years ago to fish three different lakes. Was pretty fun. Lots of average size Brookies and two nice Cutts.

Abyss would be fun, but probably not going to attempt as a day trip.

I am thinking about heading north to the Rawah's and trying some spots that used to be good 10 years ago. For the Rawah's all the good spots are at least 7 miles in though... not sure how well the dad bod will handle that.

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
They're still there.;D
I think he was interested in knowing where "there" was. ;D

I got high with my bro about a month ago. It was still too early and the lake was frozen. It was a nice camping trip nonetheless. Got to eat some fresh brookies too. But not the one in the picture below. A couple of freshly retired guys moved next to our camping trip on our last night there. They could not find another camping spot on the river, and our spot actually hand a few interspersed camping sites close to each other. It's crazy how, with this much national forest, it's so hard to find "primitive" camping sites. One of them grew up in Colorado, but ended up in Georgia. They both sounded like outdoor enthusiasts but had not bought their Colorado fishing license yet. We offered them some freshly grilled brookies and they return the favor by sharing a few beers with us. :cool:

Attachments

·
Registered
4,701 Posts
Got high too a few weeks ago .

Went to a relatively well known spot and holy smokes was it crowded early in the day.

Went with my daughter and her bf.

I even tried Slayers infamous getting high fly. Saw some monster cutties, they looked at my offerings and gave me the middle fin.

Catching or no catching , it was a great time .

Wear your sunscreen!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16,613 Posts
Next couple weeks they'll hit the big dries as the insects dwindle.

·
Registered
24 Posts
That's where I have been going the last few summers. I have been to 6 lakes and plan on checking out more up there. Fishing has been phenominal at the longer hike lakes and I am the only one fishing at the times I go. What a beautiful scenery.

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Wear your sunscreen!!
Sunscreen is for white folks! ;D That's what I honestly thought until I got sunburned for the first time in my life when I was 17 after a long day of fishing in Colorado. I hope you all don't think it's racist. ;D You have to see it from my perspective: growing up, I saw no one in my family getting sunburned, but almost every white person I knew got sunburned at least once or twice a year... I know, I know, even darker skinned folks die from skin cancer (famous case: Bob Marley), and skin damage occurs even without being sunburned... I guess I am a brave (or stubborn, or whatever you want to call me) man and, to this day, I refuse to use that stuff because it's slimy. I just wear proper garment.

·
Registered
4,701 Posts
LOL... ya I'm pretty white, which is no surprise considering my Lithuanian and Scottish dna.

Definitely don't think you're racist, I would however hypothesize you're pretty damm stubborn.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I even tried Slayers infamous getting high fly.
Hmm I would be curious to know what that is... haha. It is awesome that your daughter is willing to go with you. I am hoping that when my kids are adults, they will still want to do things like that with me.

I took a day off work first Thursday of September. Historically the first week of September has been a great time to go in the past. I am going to try and record the trip on my GoPro (still not great at making videos, but it is fun). Will post a video report when I get back.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts