1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
24,568 Posts
zHermit retirement practice...

·
Registered
16,631 Posts
My life has not changed in any way since the lock down!

·
Registered
485 Posts
Apparently quite a few other folks are not letting "lock down" "shelter in place" or "social distancing" change their life style either.

Needed to drive up to Grand Junction to take some diabetic test strips to my sons. Stopped on main street in GJ hopefully to see if Western Anglers fly shop was open - Nope - closed, (obviously not essential). The entire downtown shopping area is pretty quiet as in most of the small businesses were closed until further notice. Then stopped by Walmart near Sams to pick up some vitamins for my wife and found the whole dang town in the store. No way, no how can you practice social distancing when 100,000 are packed into the store shopping for who knows what. Perhaps the governor needs to rethink this social distancing if half the town is going to disregard the order. I see absolutely no reason to shutter small businesses that normally will have only 5 - 6 patrons at any given time when Walmart can pack in as many folks as they can.

·
Registered
4,797 Posts
I would starve before i'd go to Walfart. They can kiss my old ass.

·
Registered
485 Posts
I am not that big of a fan of Walmart either but - I fail to see why many small businesses are shut down with social distance restrictions while Walmart and a few other big box stores are open for business with no control over anyone coming in their doors. It stinks.

The only business I saw yesterday trying to control access was Sportsmans in Grand Junction. They has a sign saying only 50 people in the store at any one time and there was someone at the door monitoring folks. That certainly wasn't the case at Walmart.

If there is not going to be any control for stores like Walmart then not opening some of the smaller businesses and allowing them to keep working is really poor management on the part of Governors, Mayors, etc ( up to including the President). No political take on this, just stinks to my way of thinking why the big box stores are getting away with total disregard to the social distancing directives.

By the way, reason for trying the fly shop in GJ and then dropping in to Sportmans was to pick up some streamer hooks to tie up some more flies while I practice hunkering down in my home...might as well do something constructive.

·
Registered
4,797 Posts
If Walfart is going to be open. People should only be able to buy food and use the pharmacy.

That's pretty easy to regulate at check out and have signs stating that.

·
Registered
4,797 Posts
I just saw the NRA is suing the states that shut down gunshops. Morons.

·
Registered
485 Posts
I just saw the NRA is suing the states that shut down gunshops. Morons.
Who? The guns shops or the states?

Anyway, I agree with your comment that only food, and pharmacy shopping should be allowed. But that certainly isn't what is occurring with the big box stores. Or perhaps buying a starter rose bush is essential. Saw that at Wally world yesterday.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
With all due respect, let’s not act like your trip to a fly shop and then Walmart for some fly tying materials is any less disturbing than anything else a person left their house to go purchase besides absolutely essential items (which, fly tying for cabin fever doesn’t count).

People aren’t taking this serious, but don’t blast someone for doing the same thing you are.

People may start taking it serious on the west slope once St. Mary’s gets the reefer trucks setup as a makeshift morgue

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Yep they're using makeshift morgues in Italy and we aren't very far behind them. Going to get real here in the next few weeks.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Yea, Amazon has everything walmart does and cheaper, sure you can't get it the same day but you'll get it pretty quick still in a few days. I highly recommend using it through these times.

·
Registered
485 Posts
With all due respect, let’s not act like your trip to a fly shop and then Walmart for some fly tying materials is any less disturbing than anything else a person left their house to go purchase besides absolutely essential items (which, fly tying for cabin fever doesn’t count).

People aren’t taking this serious, but don’t blast someone for doing the same thing you are.

People may start taking it serious on the west slope once St. Mary’s gets the reefer trucks setup as a makeshift morgue

Waterfowler, you are missing the point. Why should Walmart be open and allow everyone to shop for whatever when local small businesses have to shut their doors and possibly lose their livelyhood. Did I take a trip solely to look for fly tying stuff...no I did not. Read my first post - I had to help my sons who needed test strips for their diabetes. Had to go to Walmart for vitamins my wife wanted.

My concern is for the small businesss with their doors shut trying to be good citizens even though it is hurting the owners and their workers. Good chance that some of those small businesses will go under. But you are right there are far too many folks who are not taking this seriously.

By the way, I resent your calling my leaving my home to help my sons as going because I have cabin fever. And as far as I can determine, Walmart doesn't carry fly tying material. Perhaps it is the new hot spot for tying material. When this is all over perhaps I need to check it out since you seem to know so much.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Waterfowler, you are missing the point. Why should Walmart be open and allow everyone to shop for whatever when local small businesses have to shut their doors and possibly lose their livelyhood. Did I take a trip solely to look for fly tying stuff...no I did not. Read my first post - I had to help my sons who needed test strips for their diabetes. Had to go to Walmart for vitamins my wife wanted. What were the other 100,000 there for? My concern is for the small businesss - what is your concern that promts you to piss on my posts?

I didn’t miss your point. You were my point. The actions of People. Had that fly shop been open, you were heading in.

Receive/Deliver your medical supplies and then go to a river/lake or go home. Don’t stop for gas, worms, or a Diet Coke.

No reason to go to a fly shop, regardless of the original trip intent. Sure Walmart and other big box stores could limit access to certain parts of the stores; and they will likely get there - just not fast enough as noted by a couple people. That may be yours or someone else’s point, but not mine.

I’m not sitting here trying to over dramatize the virus or piss on your negative post (ok, so maybe I did want to highlight your hypocrisy). But this is a pandemic and healthcare institutions throughout the county are already being impacted in non hot spot areas.

I work at a hospital and the temp infrastructure were are developing, with what the agencies are saying they will experience is beyond comprehension. Forget masks, ventilators, etc. - we are buying dang cots off amazon by the hundreds. We can’t get the real beds fast enough. Stuff is being built that makes what the Corp is doing look like luxury patient rooms.

Some people don’t have a choice but to expose themselves and ultimately their family. Those that do have a choice can and should do something about it.

And let’s not even hit on the economy. I build hospitals so there is no shortage of work, but we are witnessing something like I’ve never seen before. Commercial storefront construction now looks like they were completely abandoned. The same developers that now aren’t getting paid their rent from small businesses are now not able to pay the contractors building their new buildings during this “boom” economy. And it’s all with lended money. Unlike 2008, this seems like it will be a double sided hit, commercial first and residential next.

I’m not mad at you. Not mad at anyone. Hell, I went to Walmart tonight to get buns for my pulled pork. I know I can do a better job being a part of the solution, and I should given the people entrusted in me to keep them safe. I also want my brothers and sisters to contemplate the same.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Buns, absolute necessity for pulled pork sandwiches. Got it. It's not worth the argument. Hope you have a good life - stay safe.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Yea, Amazon has everything walmart does and cheaper, sure you can't get it the same day but you'll get it pretty quick still in a few days. I highly recommend using it through these times.
I would encourage you to look for items on Ebay instead, Dr Cro. I get a lot of things cheaper there and you are supporting the small businesses instead of helping Amazon put them out of business.

·
Registered
4,797 Posts
Bunch crabby people today-
We don't all live in the middle of nowhere like you.

I live in an apartment building with 40 apartments. 98% are seniors. If it comes to this building we'd be wiped out. BV is already a disaster area. Cases have doubled since two days ago.

I do my best to not have any human contact but it's impossible to do that at City Market or taking my dog out 4 times a day.

I've had a sore throat for the last couple of days and I feel really tired. The sore throat is not a sign of coronavirus but they say it could be. I'm hoping it's nothing. I haven't had a cold or the flu for over 10 years, so i'm not sure about it being a cold.

I can't get the virus. Who will take care of my dog?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts