Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the reason people want to fish in a tournament as opposed to just going out and fishing?

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Tournaments are alot of fun. If you have never fished in any give it a shot. I have fished in a couple dozen and whether it is on the ice or in a boat they are a blast. Being out with alot of other guys competing for money or new gear. The raffles are fun too. You can win some pretty cool stuff. Had a buddy that won a truck and my Dad won a snowmobile a long time ago.

·
Registered
11,877 Posts
Anteroman said:
What is the reason people want to fish in a tournament as opposed to just going out and fishing?
Not my thing either, Bill.

The last thing I want when fishing is a crowd of other folks around. As I told someone on Granby one day, "If I want to fish with friends, I'll bring my own."

·
Registered
24,509 Posts
Danged antisocial laker curmudgeons... :D

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
gofindyourowndamnfish said:
Anteroman said:
Not my thing either, Bill.

The last thing I want when fishing is a crowd of other folks around. As I told someone on Granby one day, "If I want to fish with friends, I'll bring my own."
zman said:
Danged antisocial laker curmudgeons... :D
I guess I'm one of the antisocial curmdgeons also, although I rarely Laker fish

·
Registered
24,509 Posts
To paraphrase the Breakfast Club...you two ought to go bowling...bwahahahahahaa...

·
Registered
595 Posts
I'm with you Anteroman, I've never understood why someone would want to inject an element of structured competition into their fishing experience. That is the exact opposite of every reason I can think of that motivates me to fish. Not to mention, it seems like to a certain extent someone winning a fishing contest is a result of pure random chance or luck. I know a lot of people will disagree with that.

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
Tourneys are a blast! They test you mentally, test your equipment, and physically is some cases.
It's nice to she how you stack up against some of the best fisherman.
It is fun to get ready a couple days before figure out a plan with your partner. It makes you step your game up when fishing and pay attention to every detail.

Wish I was fishing the tourny down in pueblo right now.
Helps that I have always cashed a check when I fish em! :D ;D

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Kinda the same reason I think people get on this site. To share fishing knowledge, learn something, some just to hang out and bs, and some to just to brag about their catch. ;D

·
Registered
319 Posts
It challenges your fishing skills...you have an alloted time to use the knowledge you have about fishing a certain species of fish, develop a pattern, and put it all together, and compare that to other fisherman doing the same thing. It can be a lot of fun.

Competition is a good judgement on what you need to work on and improve.

·
Registered
11,877 Posts
Ewert said:
I'm with you Anteroman, I've never understood why someone would want to inject an element of structured competition into their fishing experience. That is the exact opposite of every reason I can think of that motivates me to fish.
Exactly.

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
Agree with those who say it's the competition that appeals to participants. If you are of a competitive frame of mind, and you like to fish... it's a no-brainer, somebody will want to have a contest.

It doesn't just apply to fishing. Take anything you like to do, and find a way to compete at it, and there will be tournaments and contests. Doesn't matter what it is. Fishing, billiards, horseshoes, contract bridge, running marathons, target shooting, watermelon seed spitting... well, you get the idea. You compete for the bragging rights, and the fun of testing yourself against the others. If there's money involved, fine. If not, there will still be contests. It's the way we're built.

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
Its about catching fish at the tournaments convenience, not yours.

Most anglers are only good on their home waters, a great angler is good on all waters at all times,

1 - 20 of 51 Posts