Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went fishing on the creek next to I70 on Monday because I didn’t have the motivation to drive over a pass. My first stop was at a local fly shop in one of the towns right along the road. Another customer came in for some supplies and advice saying he had a fly rod that he had never used. His dad bought him the rod and setup a year or two ago. After he bought what he needed I offered to get him started and we hit the water right in town near some recent river improvements. I gave him some basic rigging, casting and mending tips. He had a lot of strikes on a parachute adams but was too slow to set the hook initially. He got more in sync and he hooked up with 4 fish before his free time was up. I think he enjoyed it and he really appreciated the help so that he can fly fish with his father, who lives in another state, when he visits.

It was hard but I refrained from fishing for part of the time I was helping out but I did stay and caught a couple myself. Here is the first one, a tiny little brown that ate a huge hopper. Are any of you having any luck with hoppers? I’m not having as many strikes on this pattern this year and this was my only fish on a hopper Monday.

The recent improvements also included a recent stocking and I caught a number of rainbows like this one.

I know, a rainbow is not a typical Clear Creek catch. You must be thinking what I was thinking, go for a species slam of course! Since I had recently figured out where I might get a brook or cutthroat why not try for it. I didn’t have a lot of time for fishing in my day but I headed west and up anyway. I was able to find and land a brook trout or two.

After moving around I also found this little cutthroat.

I started back east toward Denver and made a few stops to try and pick up a few more browns. I hooked a few but landed none of them. It turns out that the tiny fish in the first picture was my only brown trout of the day – pretty unbelievable on this creek. So, I may have technically completed the slam but is my lousy photo evidence good enough to show that fish numero uno was a brown trout? The other flies I used were a stimulator, parachute adams and a generic bug I tied (like a small amy’s ant).

Now for a couple more fish species from my 2 hours at RMNA on Tuesday – sunfish and bass (only fished the lower pond so no pike).

S

·
0 Posts
Dammit, someone else has figured out the slam ! :'( Nice job cuz i know you've been wandering around, and thats how you finally get it all to mesh in one day, nicely done !

Those Hophers were put in about 6mos ago up there, not many over 8" though, still a lot of bigger Cutt Bows that DTU put in a few yrs ago. If you notices about 100yds below the first improvement, several large ones have made a home - hint hint

I'll offer you a trip to hit the "Super Slam" one of these days if you are interested, and maybe let you in on a few CC secrets.....

Hoppers have been a go-to above georgetown all summer/fall - they love em, especially black/pink bodies

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys, my first year fly fishing was really tough because I didn't get much help. I know how much a little help and advice shortened my learning curve and enjoyment of this sport the second year and after. So I'm always happy to pass on a little help.

I still have a lot to learn and will take you up on some CC experience Silent_Light - I'll send you a message.

Also thanks for the hopper colors to try. I'll tie a few up and see if they do better for me. BTW, the little Amy's Ant (in my brookie picture but not in his mouth) like pattern doesn't seem to interest trout much but the sunfish and bass seem to love it. 1"-2" twitches and an occassional pause, the rubber legs make it look like it's walking or swimming.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts