Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hiked into Brainard yesterday afternoon to try my first fishing through a lid this fall. The ice was about a foot thick and the fishing was good for brookies ( I think that is all that is in there). I caught 9 in about two hours, all between 10 and 12 inches, and all on a small yellow jig head baited with an earth worm. The day was nice and it's hard to beat the scenery up there.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's a two mile walk, all easy as there is very little snow. The biggest problem I have with that lake( pond) is I've never found any place deeper than four or five feet deep. The ice on that place gets to be from 36 to 42 inches thick later in the winter and I have no idea how these fish survive, and indeed, seem to thrive.

·
Registered
24,499 Posts
If it is part of RMNP...and you are over 16...you probably shouldnt be using bait (part of a worm)...if I remember park regs correctly...I could be wrong...

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
For some reason bait is allowed at Brainard but not at the other lakes in the area such as Long Lake. The bag limit at Brainard is 4 while only 2 at the other lakes. I don't generally go around fishing illegally.

·
Registered
24,499 Posts
Kewl Brook King...

I figured it was something like that with your handle...I learned something new...that there are areas within the park that you can use bait...I learned something new...thanks!

Z

·
Registered
701 Posts
Don't be fooled, Brainard is not part of Rocky Mountain National Park rather it lies on the outskirts of Indian Peaks Wilderness Area.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts