Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does any one know the condition of dowdy? I would love to go up there this weekend. It is the one lake I've had good ice fishing success with and would like to have some success on my first trip of the year.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Find a phone listing for one of the businesses on Dowdy Lake road by West Lake (the little convenience store, or the Sportsman's Cafe. Last year, I used to call the Cafe in the morning to find out what the ice and winds were like up there before leaving home. You can also gauge the winds by visiting this site http://users.nunntelwb.com/niedenzu/weather.htm, which has weather from a private weather recording station in Red Feather Highlands.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I am heading up there Saturday. I will taking my oldest son and a friend from denver who is a newbie. I have heard ice Dowdy should be iced over. If not i may make the drive to John. I like Dowdy for first trip and fishing easy and for trip it makes for a fun time.

Tight Lines and Bent Rods
Grizz

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think I'll head up on saturday. Any suggestions I've only fished the north side by the outhouse. Usually use jigging rappalas with meal worms. Any thing else work well up there?

·
Registered
691 Posts
Small tube jigs at Dowdy are awesome. Motor Oil and Bubble Gum colors are our favorites. Also small Kastmasters/Swedish Pimples are good. Our best spot is off the "point" just past the dam in about 8-12' of water. Good luck! John

·
Registered
935 Posts
Green or brown Bekeley Micro Nymphs on 1/8 to 1/16 oz. jig heads work great at Dowdy, too - no additional bait necessary with these things, but a small tipper for extra scent/flavor doesn't hurt. Jig them near the bottom, or within 5 feet under the ice, and you can usually clean up on stockers and a few browns, there.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
I've never tried the micro nymps. Any thing small works well there, with a waxie or meal worm. If you go alittle larger, with a piece of crawler on the bottom, you might just pick up some laker bait. ;)

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think I'm going to dowdy on sat. My girlfriend wants to cut down a xmas tree this year and the cutting site is right by red feather. So hopefully I can fish early and get a tree later in the day before I have to go to work. It will be her first time ice fishing so that will be intersting. I'll try some of the micro nymphs and the tube jigs and see if I can get some action. I bought a tip up I can't wait to use, I know they are not usually used for stocker trout but I'm itching to try it. Any one else heading up there?

·
Registered
935 Posts
Some of the biggest suckers I've seen anyone catch came out of Dowdy Lake on crawlers through the ice! If I knew where to find them consistently, I'd fish there for all my laker bait.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Ill be there on Sat. also, im passing up a duck hunting trip with my ol' man and friends to hit up my first ice so i'll be by myself this time. I heard from A friend of mine that the wind is really bad up the right now so if anyone is bringing A shelter/hut bring your stakes also.
Tyler-

·
Registered
82 Posts
I am still planning on my Saturday trip to Dowdy I will see you guys up there. Gonna be cold and Windy no matter where you go fellas be prepared for the weather!

Tight Lines and Bent Rods!

Grizz

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I just called sportsmans cafe and they said it is frozen (dowdy) and has been for a while. Didn't say if any one is fishing though. Saturday is a go for me!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts