Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am thinking of buying a gas powered auger and i was wondering if anybody had any tips for me any tips would be a big help thanks in advance. 

·
Registered
509 Posts
I use a strikemaster 8 inch. I've owned it for 7 years now, still runs great. I personally prefer the 8 inch over the 10 inch size. Unless you are pulling out some huge monsters, you will get by fine with the 8 inch.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I also have an 8" Strikemaster, and have had it for 15 years, have had very little problems.
As far as brand names go though, I would not pay them much attention, I would get the best price. There are 3 major names Strikemaster, Jiffy, and Eskimo, all of these use Tecumseh small 2 strokes, 2hp or 3hp. Just my opion but it's like having a Chevy Suburban or a GMC Yukon, you may pay a little more for the Yukon but you'll get the same results with the Suburban.

D

·
0 Posts
I second what these guys have said. Unless you're doing a lot of fishing for real big lakers, I would get the 6" or 8". The 10" is a lot heavier since it has a bigger engine.

There are certainly days that I wish I had the option of an 8".

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I own an 8" Strikemaster Lazer and it is a laser. I bought it last season and it's probably drilled well over 500 holes for me and still cuts like new. How fast? About an inch or more per second. It rips it up.

If you do opt for a 10" auger then be sure to get the largest motor as the 10" requires a lot more torque than the 8" (think surface area).

Good luck!

·
Registered
133 Posts
I bought an Eskimo Shark 2 HP (51.7cc) last year. I intended to get an 8 inch auger but they only had the 10 inchers left. I'm glad I got the bigger auger. The engine drives the auger fine. Unless you really bear down on it, it doesn't stall. If you keep the blades sharp you shouldn't have to apply much downward pressure - just let it cut. I have only had it a year but it always starts with 2 or 3 pulls from dead cold. I also think the 10 inch hole is nice if you use a sonar unit, but the larger hole does give a fish more room to get turned around if it comes unhooked in the hole. Bye-Bye fish!

Jeff

·
Registered
459 Posts
I would wait till the end of the season to buy. About eight years ago i found two 8" eskimos for $85.00 each! And that was at a local Target store.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I have own a Strikemaster mag 2000 and it works great. Go to Colorado fishing on this sight and print the gander mtn coupon I think they still may have that auger for 236.00 and then take 10% off not to bad a deal. My experience dont buy Eskimo.

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
i have a jiffy legend 3hp 10 inch and an 8 inch, i only use the 10 now as i got tired of losing big fish in a 8 inch hole, love the jiffy,my buddy has an eskimo shark and he never even takes it along now he prefers to use the jiffy,eskimo's suck there are some others on this site that have had problems with eskimos..spend the extra money and get a good auger...

·
Registered
460 Posts
We also have a Strikemaster mag 2000, the 10 inch. every december when we try to fire it up something goes wrong. last year the little plastic clip that holds the recoils spring broke off and this year the pull cord broke. Other than those minor things we havent had any problems. it always starts after a few pulls and warms up in about 30 seconds. in the last two years its drilled over 500 holes. new plug and filter every winter and she runs perfectly. we also paid $100 bucks for this at Garts.

·
Registered
24,511 Posts
Fishingfoo...when I was at the Bass Pro Ice Seminars they had a brief discussion of augers...the top of the line was the new 4 stroke Strikemaster...no oil gas mixing...vented gas cap (no gas on your hands)...super light auger shaft assembly...if price wasnt an object this might be it for you...it was considerably lighter than the others...it is pricey...$499...but if it is a lifetime investment...

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
zman said:
Fishingfoo...when I was at the Bass Pro Ice Seminars they had a brief discussion of augers...the top of the line was the new 4 stroke Strikemaster...no oil gas mixing...vented gas cap (no gas on your hands)...super light auger shaft assembly...if price wasnt an object this might be it for you...it was considerably lighter than the others...it is pricey...$499...but if it is a lifetime investment...
i have heard mixed reviews on 4 stroke augers. the thing that you have stated are a plus but i have heard some guys say that thier 2 strokes cut better than 4 strokes because the moter raps out harder and faster.

thanks again fellas for all the advice it will be a big help when i go to buy an auger.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts