Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
santa brought me a gift card and your perch pics have convinced me to suck it up and be cold. does it matter whether I get a 6/7/8" hand powered auger? they're all same-ish price and hand powered is what the budget holds.

·
Registered
24,552 Posts
Dont get an 8...a 6 is so easy you don't need a drill...a 7 manually isnt bad...but a 6 should handle everything but big lakers...a 6 will cut as fast as a power auger dont drop it on the ice or use it on dirty ice...watch your fingers around the blades taking off and putting the guard on...they cut like a razor and deep...dont add stitches to the cost...

·
Registered
869 Posts
If you are concentrating on pan fish (perch, bluegills,crappie, etc) and other fish under five pounds, there are 4 and 5 inch hand augers, as well.

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
I have an 8" but if I was doing it again I'd get a 6"

x2 about the dirty ice. It'll dull your blades and then make it a pain to drill holes.

Georgetown is notorious for having dirty ice.

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
I bought my auger on CL for $15 and I lucked out because it was brand new in the box.

You can find some on CL for a reasonable price and use your gift card to buy gear!

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
also, while I'm at it, spud bar - I have two already, the super heavy construction variety from lowes. don't exactly want to haul those around. is there a light weight DIY option that works? what exactly am I needing it for, just keepint the hole open?

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
I use my spud bar as I'm walking to hit the ice ahead of my steps. I have a two piece spud bar. It's heavy but it needs to be to "check" the ice.

You can also use a spud bar to make a hole in the ice but I haven't seen anyone actually do this besides on a show about ice fishing in Alaska.

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
6"Nils.
I've used lots of different types or hand made spud bars, my favorite is a cutting bar tool we use for stripping concrete forms, light and sharp. The heavy ones are a pain. As Dallas mentioned use it as your walking out on thin or sketchy ice your not sure of, give it a good hit as you walk now and then if it doesn't bust through on one hit your good and can keep going. If it's new ice I won't even carry an auger and just use the spud bar, just keep a good hold on it I've lost them down the hole.

·
Registered
16,613 Posts
This came thru a 6" hole at 11-mile a few weeks ago-

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
my favorite is a cutting bar tool we use for stripping concrete forms, light and sharp.
Steve, do you have any links to what tool that is? I remember being impressed when you came down to fish with us and you had a few 6" holes with just a few whacks.

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Steve, do you have any links to what tool that is? I remember being impressed when you came down to fish with us and you had a few 6" holes with just a few whacks.
We get them from little giant form ties off south Kipling, there basically a 1" hollow steel pipe with a cutting blade welded on each end

·
Registered
86 Posts
I once used a spud bar, in my younger years. Heavy and I didn't tie it off. Good for part of the season until one day after around 5 holes it went bye bye. 6" or 8" hand auger will work until the holes get deep.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I drilled 10 holes with my 6" lazer, each about 15.5" deep, on Saturday at Tarryall. At 65 with average build and in decent health, I can definitely feel the last 3 or 4 inches. With good rest between drilling 2 or 3 at a time, I could probably drill 15 or more holes in a day, 10" deep, maybe 12".

·
Registered
48 Posts
6 inch. I was just out with my 8 inch and my buddys 6 inch and it is a lot easier to do the 6 inch. Plus 6 inch allows for the possibility of drill attachment if you are so inclined.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts