Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was just wondering how many of you have gas augers or hand augers, i myself have gas auger and wouldent even think about going threw 2 foot of ice with a hand auger

·
Registered
943 Posts
hand auger. i also have a adapter for my cordless drill for less than 2 feet of ice if more i borrow a power auger(bad shoulders)

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Hand auger :(
But I try to con the kid into drilling for me.

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
I have both. I keep the hand auger as a backup in case something happens to the power auger. Nothing more fun than drilling holes for older guys I see trying to cut through with a hand auger.

Dan

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Dan said:
I have both. I keep the hand auger as a backup in case something happens to the power auger. Nothing more fun than drilling holes for older guys I see trying to cut through with a hand auger.

Dan
Keep an eye out for me too. :p

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
just an old beat up mora hand job

would like to have the bigger hole from the power jobs but dont like the smell of 2 stroke oil i save that for chain saws in the spring and summer

·
Registered
16,650 Posts
Actually I have 2 gas augers,a 8" and 10". Also a 8" hand Mora.I cut lots of holes and a gas auger makes it a non issue.

M

·
0 Posts
i have an 8 inch hand auger, its such a pain, one time at the mile it took us like 20 minutes on one hole and some guy with a power auger came and drilled our other ojne, i was so greatful, i want one of those, its sad when u get so hot hand augering that u in a tshirt in windy 11mile winter weather

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
yeah every one talks about having sharp blades on a hand auger!! who cares, on my jiffy chipper blade i havent done any maintenance in 2 years, all i do is give it a coat of wd 40 every week when i am done and she works like a champ.. only bad thing about them is the weight, but when there is 20 plus inches of ice in the hills, hand auger?? no way!!! why get all hot and sweaty then cold later when you could drill a hole in like 20 seconds and be done with it. i'd rather get all sweaty fighting fish not drilling holes!!!

·
Registered
103 Posts
if it takes 20 minutes to drill a hole-your blades are so toasted I would hand drill a hole for you- same if you cant start you gas motor at 11,000 feet. If you are inclined to be able to move around quietly and not hurt yourself and get on fish take care of em and be careful of them, you do get what you pay for and ice fishing is way more demanding on equiptment. Dont get a sharpener, just another set of blades for the same $. Accept that if you go somewhere that likes to get windy, there will be sand in the ice especially if you like to drill where the snow sticks, Tarryall for example was notorious for blade ruining. If you ding the blades on a curved laser black auger and it wont cut you are done, blue moras can be helped with a file but desperation has set in. After years of drilling with a laser, it cuts 1/2" per turn, 20" of ice-40 turns-feel the $60 burn

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
I have to admit, I am skeptical when I hear people talking about hand cutting a hole in 20 seconds through a foot of ice. Even when my hand auger was new I could not do that. I suppose if I was using a 4 inch auger it is more likely to get through fast like that. Are you guys using a 4, 6 or 8 inch auger?

Dan

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
or maybe their built like arnold swhatever i cant use a hand auger because everytime i try to drill a hole i smash my cupcakes or twinkies or whatever i happen to be eating at that time. because i'm sure to be eating something.. i need to put a cupholder on my jiffy i think..

·
Registered
16,650 Posts
On my big 10" it came with the flat "chipper" type blade but I went out and bought just the auger part with the curved "Lazer" blades also.The lazers cut like demons but when they get dull,you are f#cked!I sharpen the flat chipper blades by myself and they cut like demons now.I carry an extra sharp blade with me and never worry about cutting sometimes 100 holes per day.(2 guys).My hand auger gets lots of use the first week or two when ice is only 3-4 inches you dont wanta be carrying the heavier gas auger around.After 6-7 inches the gas auger gets the nod.

·
Registered
280 Posts
The only time I use my hand auger now is when I'm taking a long hike usually after lakers. That extra 30lbs makes a big difference in deep snow, steep hills.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
i got a 6" mora and i can consistantly do 20 inches in 40-45 seconds

my asmatic and arthritic mother did a 20" hole in just over a min

i wouldnt want to do 100 holes a day with it but i ussualy do 20+ for two of us fishing spread out over a day ill drill 5-8 holes when we first set up then aftera while il star drilling test holes here and there looking for better spots

·
Registered
144 Posts
Some of you have already touched on the subject, but what are your thoughts on blades for a hand auger? Sharpening old blades or just buying new ones? Last year, I saw replacement blades for $20. Do hardware stores or sporting goods stores sharpen auger blades? I know they need to be sharpened at a certain angle so maybe some of these guys think it's just like skates and not care about the cut.

Believe me, if we had enough disposable income, we'd be buying a power auger but, instead, we're looking at fish-finders for the ice this year. Any recommendations on those? (It will be strictly for the ice since we don't own a boat).

Thanks!

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
i took some dull blades to a swa/knife sharpening shop 2 years ago and specificaly asked if they could correct the angles and sharpen the blades they said oh yeah we do it all the time they chrged me 7.50 and they were razor sharp when i picked them up but didnt cut for sh1t i picked up a pair of blades at wally world for 15 bucks and cut like a hot axe thu butter! i might need to touch them up soon as a can feel them not cutting as good

hers a good link on blade sharpening

http://www3.sympatico.ca/sconnell/IceAugerCare.htm

the straight chipper blades on some power augers are fairly easy to sharpen with a fine stone just dont change the angle

the curved blades are tougher and you only want to sharpen one side to maintain the proper angle

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
as far as fish finders go i don't think that you can go wrong with the vexilar, i've got an fl8se and an fl 18 and we use both every weekend and when i fish alone i still use both. i don't want to fish without them. auger,vex's, good shelter. those are the biggies for me.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts