Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off when your buying something cheap, I think we all know what your gonna wind up with. A low grade product that slips off your foot gets tangled up, you end up tripping on defeating the whole purpose of finding a product that will help you stay on your feet not a product that will put you on your a$%. With that being said you can go a couple of ways. Chains, coils or spikes. Each type has it's own pluses and minuses. Im a loyal fan of the spikys or studded variety of ice cleats as they are really low profile and you can't feel them under your feet as much when you walk. The chains are just a little cumbersome for my liking. But if you look online there are several different types that have studs. Id recommend the Spiky or the Spiky Plus brand. They seem to be the highest quality with regards to the rubber and the steel. The rubber has to stretch over your boot and a low grade rubber can snap when its 10 degrees outside. And a low grade steel stud will wear down after just a couple times using them. Their online store is www.spiky.com

·
Registered
910 Posts
I got Kahtoola microspikes last year, to go on the Muck arctic pro boots I bought purely on Zmans' recommendation. I could not be more pleased, and foad if you don't like it.

·
Registered
24,557 Posts
Fischer Those muck arctic pros are sick...toasty warm...150% waterproof and light as a feather...and no dumb ass shoe laces that get frozen or you have to tie or worthless 5 lb steel shank...what the hell do you need that for to make you sink straight to the bottom?

I just use the cheapie 8 dollar rubber stretch over ones with the metal cleats...never had them come off, break or slip...think I have had the same pair for 15 years...

·
Registered
910 Posts
the cheapies tend to affect my back, and don't grip throughout the stride like the microspikes do. I have a few pairs of them (the cheapies). The mucks...I am thankful that i read your post on them. I am sure there are other personal favs, but for me, they're great.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I just drill some sheet metal screws into the rubber cleats on some old boots, been working great for the past 10 years, and its only about $2 for the screws

·
Registered
16,617 Posts
I just use the cheapie 8 dollar rubber stretch over ones with the metal cleats...never had them come off, break or slip...think I have had the same pair for 15 years...

Well duh! If you sit in the freekin hut all all day anything will work---::)

·
Registered
24,557 Posts
Plenty mobile in the john and delaney tournaments they work just fine...

·
Registered
24,557 Posts
the hell with 5 rods...one or 2 max...

·
Registered
24,557 Posts
Might as well be jug fishing and no not those kind of jugs...

·
Registered
16,617 Posts
I LOVE jug fishing! Did it at Bonny, Nee Noshe, and Nee Grande! An 8lb wiper will rip those jugs all the way across the lake! Fun stuff chasing them down-

I've got like 20 jugs in the basement waiting to go!

·
Registered
24,557 Posts
Only 20? u r slacking!

·
Registered
16,617 Posts
You're allowed 10 per person besides your normal 2 rods!

·
Registered
910 Posts
sheet metal screws into the rubber cleats on some old boots
I did that one year. They worked pretty good.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts