Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I have come up with enough items to try to make a ice fish finder out of a soft water fish finder. Has anyone done this? Will it work? I have a couple different ideas for this. One involves some pvc pipe. The other would be to mount the transducer to the bottom of my sled. Poor people have poor ways. ha ha

·
Registered
11,176 Posts
Don't mount the transducer to the sled. Just make a T out of wood, pvc, or metal. I use an old broken hiking staff and mount your skimmer to it. For the battery pack and head unit I just use a soft side cooler with the plastic insert. Works fine.

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
This is funny... I'm trying to go in reverse right now... Make my ice ducer work for trolling in a boat. :) Seems to work pretty well if I can keep it stationary. Good luck!!

·
Registered
3,547 Posts

Mind you, Hobie's will work better for all condition icing, I am a fair-weather, panfish only ice angler, so my dinky little transducer boom works great for that.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Some great ideas so far. What I had in mind was a bit flintstone looking compared to what you guys have shown me.

·
Registered
24,568 Posts
This one is pretty good...

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
I used to convert mine also, used my lowrance 75 and 350 for years and took it fishing in Ca several times with a suction cup ducer, imo the new portables ice machines out now are handier to use.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Ok, I have come up with enough items to try to make a ice fish finder out of a soft water fish finder. Has anyone done this? Will it work? I have a couple different ideas for this. One involves some pvc pipe. The other would be to mount the transducer to the bottom of my sled. Poor people have poor ways. ha ha

I had been using my old X65 like this for years, with a skimmer transducer. I have a 3/4 inch round by 5" peice of pipe that i ran the transducer wire through, no need for a post, or T to hold the ducer, just drop it right in like a Ice ducer. the cooler box always keeps it protected and it has lasted forever

However i just bought the Lowrance ice pack for my HDS 5, it includes a battery,and ice ducer. Very handy for just over $100.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts