Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my girlfriend did very well this summer when I taught her to fly fish. So I think it is time to introduce her to the ice. I am not a pro by any means. I have only ice fished for two years now. I know keeping her warm is the first priority to her having fun her first time. If any of you have experience in this and can lend me your wisdom I would be forever in your debt. If she likes it that means I can go more.

·
Registered
935 Posts
I taught my wife both this year.

My rule of thumb:  Dress for temps 30 degrees lower than forecast, because when you're sitting still you can get colder than you think, faster than you think.  Windproof stuff is the best.  Most body heat is lost through head/neck, so wear an insulated hood and/or scarf and hat with ear protection.  Warm feet also important- try out some of the footwarmer insoles. 

Give her your best rig, to insure she gets bites, and then don't lose patience if she fails to set the hook the first few times (a common thing for people new to ice fishing).

D

·
0 Posts
Hatchmaster-

The two things you need to remember are to keep her warm and take her someplace where she'll get a lot of action. Tarryall might not be a bad place to start. I know people were catching lots of stockers before it froze.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Oh, and fish in the Northwest corner on Dowdy - lots of stocker action there at early ice from a heavy fall stocking.

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
buy a shelter and a couple of heaters, it'l cost ya but if she has to fish out on the ice regardless of how nice a day it is i bet she won't want to go much. if you get a nice sized shelter with heaters and keep it real comfy then, like my girlfriend, she will want to go all the time which may be good or bad depending on how you look at it,plus if you are in a shelter and fishing shallow she will be able to see the fish under you and that adds a whole nother dimension to ice fishing. my girl loves to watch the fish and try to get them to bite something..

·
Registered
935 Posts
Depends on whether she's an outdoor woman. My wife is on the outdoorsy side, and she loved to fish out on the ice. Wants to see her surroundings, even when windy as hell. Says she doesn't go out there to look at the inside of a tarp.

Y

·
0 Posts
I hear ya hatchmaster, I'm in the same boat..or should I say on the same ice. My wife is the outdoor type... motorcycles,camping, etc., but when she gets cold out on the ice or is not getting bites shes done. When I decided to go ice fishing for the first time two years ago she got excited and wanted to go too...I was lucky and she made me buy a tent....however we made several mistakes and went without a heater or proper clothing and started fishing deep at 11-mile on a windy day...she was not too thrilled and we did not catch any fish. Since then she went out and bought -30 boots, thick socks, snow pants, fur hat, glacier gloves and a heater. I got some tips and started fishing shallow where we can see the bottom and fish cruising by and now she loves it....except on lakes like 11-mile where it can get slow sometimes...she would rather go to places like skaguay, dillion, tarryal where we can catch lots of stocker trout. She also likes to move alot when we are not getting bites..so the purchase of a power auger was key. I also have a 13 year old nephew that goes with so I have to keep him busy as well...my plan this year is to buy an underwater camera to keep them busy while I am trying to catch a monster at 11-mile.

Like jamiehughes said "buy a shelter and a couple of heaters and fish shallow" thats is what I would recommend too.

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
i wouldn't use a camera if you are trying to catch big fish, me and my buddy used to use one and all we used to catch were smaller fish when we forgot to use the camera we started to catch bigger fish. face it the big old monster trout aren't gonna come in when they see a big black cable hanging down with a big black camera or a goofy looking fish that doesn't resemble any fish caught in trout lakes. i even think that too many lures hanging in a small area is a deterant to big fish. little fish(3lbs and smaller) seem less cautious and more aggressive than the big ones. i've had big ones come in and look at my jig, you can see them looking at it sideways, and not hit it only to make a big circle around and come back and look at it again, some times this takes several minutes for them to come back, but if you stay quiet and don't do anything fast they usually will come back, then just barely make the skirt on the jig barely twitch, by just touching your line not the pole and this is how i have got most of my big trout(5lbs or better) to hit. it sometimes is very frustrating when they wont hit. i also think that by using bait that most times you will catch the smaller,less cautious fish in the area unless you can get the bait to look very realistic, a mealy hanging off ot the back of a tube jig just doesn't seem to look like anything that i have ever seen in a lake. you will always have the exceptions but i think that my methods work well most of the time with big trout. i have lots of pictures just no way to post them.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts