Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I plan on ice fishing alot. In years past I haven't been that much and when I did go I went with other people who had gear. What do you guys recomend for a newbie ice fisherman as far as auger, shelter, ice rods and reels, ect....pretty much everything for me to have a good time fishing hard water. Within a budget of course. Thanks any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
i dont ice fish but the first thing i would get
would be some nice warm clothes

but thats just me

good luck this winter ice fishing fg

·
Registered
16,651 Posts
Most everything is personal preference. I have a hut but never use it. I like being outside. Gas auger if ice gets over 8" thick or if you move around a lot(like me).Hand auger keeps you in shape or for out of the way places.I make most all my ice rods,anywhere from 24 to 42 inches long.Tip-ups are a waste of time,IMO. A sled to drag stuff is nice. Some ice specific jigs like nils master or jiggin' rapalas,some swim head lazer jigs,demons or ratsos or shrimpos.Kastys and swedish pimples work great everywhere. You need a spoon to clean the hole out.Plastic ones are light and cheap but can break when you need them the most. Strike indicators are a must for finicky trout and perch. The indicator must have a large diameter so icing isnt an issue. This is a tiny list of thoughts and stuff you may or may not need. I love using minnows wherever they are legal.

·
Registered
22 Posts
If you get out a lot the more you may want. A hand auger works great, but thank God I got a power auger last year. Out of every thing good electronics is a must. I use a vexlar. Other things you get with each year as you see a use or think it will help.
Good Luck
Ty

·
Registered
943 Posts
slayer prettymuch got it. but i would also add ice cleats and picks for safety

·
Registered
16,651 Posts
I've rarely used electronics for icin and I have always done very well. I rarely fish deep water so theres no need for it. Again,personal preference.

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
Clam hut, 4-wheeler to pull it, black artic carhart's, 5 rods, 10" power auger, vexilar, mini heaters, assorted small ice jigs and spoons, boots rated to -125, bucket to sit on unless you get the sled with built in seats. Hope your budget will allow for the above equipment list.... Oh yea give me a call because the 4- wheeler makes granby so much more fun and I'm sure you will need someone to split the gas bill with..

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Ice fishing safety kit, Some places sell kits or you can make your own recommend 3 things ice cleats for walking on slick surface, a whistle to get attention if you fall threw, and picks that can be accessed easy if you fall threw to climb out of the water with. It might not be that big of a deal here in Colorado as most the lakes get really thick, but you never know when a fisherman has drilled to many holes to close to each other a couple different days and a 4 wheeler or snow mobile comes to close to you and goes threw the ice taking you with it. (or a truck)
Then pretty much slayers post would cover most everything. I would suggest wax or meal worms, night crawlers, and sucker meat to tip jigs with as well.

·
Registered
16,651 Posts
Blackjack said:
Clam hut, 4-wheeler to pull it, black artic carhart's, 5 rods, 10" power auger, vexilar, mini heaters, assorted small ice jigs and spoons, boots rated to -125, bucket to sit on unless you get the sled with built in seats.    Hope your budget will allow for the above equipment list....  Oh yea give me a call because the  4- wheeler makes granby so much more fun and I'm sure you will need someone to split the gas bill with..
Jeez-talk about bringin the kitchen sink! hey-to each his own!

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Ice shelters arent a must but they are wonderful when the wind is cutting threw you.

Y

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Besides the must haves( pole, lures, augar, and strainer) the item I like best is my eskimo ice shelter w/ built in bench.....I say this because my favorite thing about ice fishing is being able to see down into the water and watching the fish take or not take the bait...without a shelter to block out the sun you can't see down the hole....plus it is really nice to have when the wind kicks up at 11-mile and your nice and warm in the tent. I wasn't going to buy one because I did not want to spend the money but my wife bought one anyway....glad she did. I would like to get a vex one of these days but I really like fishing shallow in clear lakes...learning to fish shallow with out electronics is better anyways because you see first hand how fish react to different baits/lures. I started 2 years ago w/o a clue or anybody to help me and I started fishing deep w/o success until I found that fishing shallow is better unless you have electronics. Waterproof boots is also a must have.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Above all else, a 5 gallon bucket. It works as a seat, a lunch bucket, rod holder, fish hauler, just a multitude of uses. A must for every ice fisherman. :)

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
SLAYERFISH said:
Blackjack said:
Clam hut, 4-wheeler to pull it, black artic carhart's, 5 rods, 10" power auger, vexilar, mini heaters, assorted small ice jigs and spoons, boots rated to -125, bucket to sit on unless you get the sled with built in seats. Hope your budget will allow for the above equipment list.... Oh yea give me a call because the 4- wheeler makes granby so much more fun and I'm sure you will need someone to split the gas bill with..
Jeez-talk about bringin the kitchen sink! hey-to each his own!
I was thinking he has just about everyting imaginable in his list. My thought is why not a chair instead of the bucket? Everything else on the list top notch?

Dan

·
Registered
22 Posts
Slayerfish, I agree with you and I should put that I mainly fish for lakers. Electronic help a lot in the deeper water. That way you can see what the fish like.
Ty

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
fishingkats said:
i dont ice fish but the first thing i would get
would be some nice warm clothes

but thats just me

good luck this winter ice fishing fg
Other than the safety kit, the first thing on the list is warm clothes.  Lots of layers,  I can always remove if I have too much on.  (keep a dry change of clothes in your vehicle.  you can get wet even if you don't fall throught the ice)  If you are sweating you have too many clothes on.  Sweating will kill.  Hypothermia acts quicker than a lot of people might realize.

Dan

·
Registered
16,651 Posts
I agree totally that electronics are needed for deep water or places like cherry creek where visibility is about 2 feet. The hut thing is wierd-like I said,I have a clam and a frabill scout type thing. I like the flexibility of no hut,cause I move a lot and drill lots of holes. The shelter is almost impossible to move when the wind kicks up. Plus I just like being outside when I'm fishing-maybe just weird.

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
The new huts are built on a deep sided sled and simply pull over to set up , set up takes litterally seconds and they are great for mobility and holding all of the gear.. The only time it seems I use the tent is when its really windy, other then that i enjoy sitting and taking in the sites. Slayer do you have a hard time seeing hits when its really windy, I'm sure you use strike indicator wires but do they bounce alot when its windy.

·
Registered
16,651 Posts
Blackjack said:
Slayer do you have a hard time seeing hits when its really windy, I'm sure you use strike indicator wires but do they bounce alot when its windy.
It depends on the species-most times the trout hit it pretty good so theres usually no doubt.In fact I like the wind it gets that indicator moving back and forth which gives the jig a unique action! "free jiggin" we like to call it. The jig almost vibrates sometimes! Perch are real subtle,even without wind you often must hold the rod in hand to feel 'em. One thing I do is never take my eyes off the rods,whether I'm eating or pissin or drilling another hole.Sometimes I get headaches from starin so much,but Its worth it.

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
I fish granby alot and the hits are so light., but a few years ago after they moved the antero fish into eleven mile the hits where really light just barely tapping a small kasty and meal worm. haven't been there since but was curious how the fish react to your methods. Hopping to get there a couple of times there this year, even though it will costr a $100 in gas. The site should put up a section for people heading out and where for car pooling purposes.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts