Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to Ice Fishing. I got a rod and an auger. No tent thing... I have been fishing local ponds with a lot of luck, but want to step it up and hit Eleven Mile. I just have no clue what I am doing. Any tips for a noob ice fisherman? Where do I start? That much water I feel like I'll just drill some holes and either get lucky or get skunked. Also any tips for safety on the ice. Is there any risk of falling through on Eleven mile? Should have some sort of safety gear?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Last time I hit 11 mile ice was 3’ and wind blown. Coldest I’ve ever been was up there at midnight snagging Kokes.
In short watch the weather. It gets a lot of activity and most are willing to help a newly.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I am new to Ice Fishing. I got a rod and an auger. No tent thing... I have been fishing local ponds with a lot of luck, but want to step it up and hit Eleven Mile. I just have no clue what I am doing. Any tips for a noob ice fisherman? Where do I start? That much water I feel like I'll just drill some holes and either get lucky or get skunked. Also any tips for safety on the ice. Is there any risk of falling through on Eleven mile? Should have some sort of safety gear?
Get there before the sun comes up, try the area out from Stoll Mountain campground. I would say try and be in the 10 to 15 ft. range, follow the trail the herd leaves, move around and cut a bunch of holes if you are not seeing or catching fish. I don't fish 11 mile that much anymore as it is far easier for me to go to North Park. If you have them, try a gulp minnow, rainbow trout pattern, 1.5 inch with a chartreuse jig head like a genz fat boy. You could drive a truck on the lake if they would let you, so you should be safe. Good Luck.

·
Registered
16,757 Posts
Wear your longhandles. It routinely gets to -25F there every morning.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just went up to Eleven Mile to scout it out and check out the dream stream and the surrounding state parks like Mueller. It was amazing. My wife loves fly fishing but was resistant to try ice fishing, she said it looked boring. I brought her a long. After walking on the ice for a while, on our way back to the car she said we need to get a hub hahaha. I'll probably be up there next weekend hoping for some lake trout.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I'll second that about Lakers. CPW would be killing off the entire lake to save their stocker Kokanee program. They hate the pike as is.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
you guys are correct no lake trout. We went back with a hub and auger, we got swarmed by trout a few times but they never struck our lures! We had a blast, they looked like good size trout, we could see them through the holes. Going back this weekend.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts