Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was just curious what kind of line everyone uses on their ice rods ? , i usually use pline but it tends to freeze , my brother has fireline but i think the fish can see that line threw the ice,

·
Registered
935 Posts
I use a mono called Cajun Ice. Only use it cause it was cheap at Sportman's. I like braided better, overall, but when it's cold braided tends to accumulate ice, and get stiff a lot more easily.

·
Registered
16,630 Posts
6 lb Trilene XL. Its what I use 90% of the time. If I'M goin deep >30',then I'll use 10 lb.

·
Registered
943 Posts
slayer do you have any problems with tying small jigs on the 6lb?

·
Registered
904 Posts
I only use XL mono. I always have a rod with 4lb, 6lb & 8lb. I also have 1 rod with 12lb mono for Pike and attach a 7 strand leader when jigging for them. The 8lb seems to be plenty for Macs, as long as the drag is set right. 6lb for Walleye and 4lb for Bo Bo's.
Dan

·
Registered
863 Posts
last yr i used fireline didnt really like it though that stuff isnt really even like fishing line it looks like just wire this yr i wanna try somethin different i stopped in (well i ended up stayin and lookin around for 2 and a half hours...lol) at bass pro shops and they had a bunch of ice fishin line i dont know which one to go with though.....they even had 1 lb test what would you use that for...? yea but anyone with any suggestions on what to try this yr id appreciate it..i plan to ice fish ALOT this yr as i just landed a SWEET job and am goin to have alot more money for fishin....and more time because ill be workin 7 days on and 7 days off in the mountains so....while my woman is at work during the week u can catch me on DA ICE...... ;D

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
i like the berkley micro ice in the steel color, i always fish in a shelter so the line doesn't get real cold but it seems to handle rubbing on the sides of the hole when you get a good fish on pretty good. i have never had a breakoff because of that with this stuff yet.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Micro ice gets my vote as well. The 3 lb test fills the void when your jigs get too small for 4 lb but you don't feel comfortable with 2lb. Been using it for a few years with NO problems.

·
Registered
377 Posts
I use a set set up similiar to Dan's a couple of rods with 4, 6, and 8 lb. When i'm site fishing and the fish seem a little spooked I'll use 3 feet of 110% fluorocarbon 5X or 6X tippet.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Something I forgot to mention about the cajun ice line. It's red. I'm not convinced I like it, yet, but the red color makes it easier for me to see on the ice, and since fish (like most animals) do not have the necessary pigments in their eyes to see red wavelengths, the line should be virtually invisible to fish, as well.

·
Registered
16,630 Posts
afishman said:
slayer do you have any problems with tying small jigs on the 6lb?
Not a bit! I have tied #18 drys on 6 lb mono. In the past I have tried those "ice fishing" specialty lines and found them to hav worse performance than regular lines. Also spiderwire is neat 'cause the slightest touch comes through loud and clear,BUT it ices up badly.I also straightened some jig hooks out on the set because of the zero stretch thing. If I was targeting macs at 60 feet I would prolly go with spiderwire and a tippet of flourocarbon.

·
Registered
943 Posts
don't ever buy the polar ice line i had more breakoffs last year. so i'm thinking i might try trilene 4 lb this year

·
Registered
217 Posts
Cutthroat said:
Something I forgot to mention about the cajun ice line.  It's red.  I'm not convinced I like it, yet, but the red color makes it easier for me to see on the ice, and since fish (like most animals) do not have the necessary pigments in their eyes to see red wavelengths, the line should be virtually invisible to fish, as well.
I picked up the cajun red up in 6lb but haven't tried it yet. Cut, do you think walleyes can see this? ???

·
Registered
16,630 Posts
I've read some studies that the color red disapaers below like 3 ft under the water. If thats so,how cum red on a lure seems to make a difference? I've read that fish are color-blind so they only see shades of gray. Obviously the red relates to a certain shade and they CAN see it,IMO.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I take out about 6-8 pre-rigged rods with me typically so I am prepared for about anything.  I hate tying jigs on when it's cold!  I have one reel with 6lb Fireline and one with 6lb Spiderwire.  In clear water (eg:  mtn. lakes) these don't work too well because the line can be seen all the way to the bottom.  Although, when I'm pike fishing they are great.  You don't have to worry about breaking the line at all (as long as it isn't frayed, you must watch out for that with Fireline especially).  You could toss a rope with a bent nail on it down the hole and if a Northern felt like hitting it, I'm convinced it would.  They RULE the water and do whatever the hell they want! 8)

·
Registered
217 Posts
SLAYERFISH said:
I've read some studies that the color red disapaers below like 3 ft under the water. If thats so,how cum red on a lure seems to make a difference? I've read that fish are color-blind so they only see shades of gray. Obviously the red relates to a certain shade and they CAN see it,IMO.
And red hooks, too, which are currently all the rage. I think it does make a difference with walleyes. In-Fisherman had an article about colors that walleys see in different types of water conditions, I think it was earlier this year. I'll see if I have it around, it was interesting research.

Johnny O SWEARS by Vanish for invisibility! Tell us your thoughts, Johnny!

·
Registered
943 Posts
i know when i was fishing with ken he was using a red hook and killing the trout and i was using just an ordinary hook and got hardly any bites ???

·
Registered
943 Posts
you know it would be cool to have ice fishing jigs or any jigs with red hooks. i smell money ;D

1 - 20 of 32 Posts