13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Needing some Feedback on the Different Brands Out there:
What do you folks think of:
Ice Armor

Frabill

Vexilar

or any other favorite.

Looking to get a new suit and want to get the most for the $$$.

Do most of my fishing with out a shelter.

I'd like both pros and cons from users.

Thanks for the inpput in advance.

·
Registered
4,799 Posts
The Vex is the most economical. I bought a Strike Master on sale for $200 bibs and jacket. Pretty sure theres a Clam thats around $200 now. I haven't heard a bad thing about any of them so far. . Almost forgot but I think some of thew ones will float you, pretty sure there around $300 .

·
Registered
6,684 Posts
Arctic Armor!! ALL THE WAY!!

Here is a thread that i posted about it:

http://www.coloradofisherman.com/forum/index.php?topic=49870.msg568868#msg568868

And here is a link to the actual site! Has a bunch of good info:

http://www.idigear.com/arcticarmor.php

GREAT gear!! I am still loving it!! I got mine online from http://www.profishingsupply.com because I couldn't find them ANYWHERE locally!! They ran me like $320 Shipped to my house :)

BUT now they sell them at Gander in Aurora! So i would suggest going there to check them out!!(And then buy them wherever you can get them cheapest! No idea what they charge at Gander.. but mine came with free gloves!) I didn't get that luxury when ordering mine.. So I ended up getting the wrong size 1st :( But http://www.profishingsupply.com was really cool and made the exchange seem less!!

Benefits are greater than just warmth and quality!! These are SAFER than the rest as they will actually float if you fall through the ice!!

If you have any questions feel free to PM me!!

Here is a pic. of me in mine from Monday at Chambers :)

·
Registered
4,799 Posts
Rvinson how many other ones have you went through over the years and why do you like the Artic Armour better then the previous ice suits.

·
Registered
6,684 Posts
Trout said:
Rvinson how many other ones have you went through over the years and why do you like the Artic Armour better then the previous ice suits.
this is only going to be my third season ice fishing. arctic armoris the only one that floats so was an easy decision for me, and I have not been a single bit disappointed, would def. Recommend it. Keeps me very warm. And keeps me dry even when kneeling in slush for hours.

But honestly I have never tried the other suits, I assume there all pretty equally warm, but like I said arctic armor is the only one I know of that is also a safety device.

·
Registered
499 Posts
RVinson - Are those Sorel Apha Trac boots you"re wearing? If so, what are your thoughts. Any issues with em so far. i.e cold toes,not truly water proof, etc.

I just bought a pair last week , so I haven't got a chance to get out on the ice with them. I've always bought Sorels and have been happy with first two pair.

·
Registered
4,799 Posts
The clam Gray/Black Suit will float 300 to 400 lbs. rather pricey though. I fish with a couple guys that have the gray/black clam and there only complaint is their to hot. Pretty sure Snosuit floats also but those are around $500-600. If I was to get another one I would get Artic Armour they float and I like the different colors. The most common ones are the origanal smurf blue clam and the strike master is bright ass tomato red. ;D

·
Registered
7,407 Posts
If you're looking cheap, check out the Guide Gear stuff on Sportsmans Guide. I checked today, and some of their parka/bibs for $90 are sold out. Hope they get more in as I'll get the ball and chain a pair this year. I hope.

I have had mine out a few times. The zipper on the parka busted, but it's reversible, so easy to break if you force it through. On my new pair, I plan on pinching down the far end so I can't unzip it from the bottom, and it gives it a good spot to stop at. So what if I have to totally unzip to make yellow snow. :D :D

And again, for $90 and getting similar quality to the $200 - $300 suits, it's worth it. But, it doesn't float...

Rob

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
Slimer said:
If you're looking cheap, check out the Guide Gear stuff on Sportsmans Guide. I checked today, and some of their parka/bibs for $90 are sold out. Hope they get more in as I'll get the ball and chain a pair this year. I hope.

I have had mine out a few times. The zipper on the parka busted, but it's reversible, so easy to break if you force it through. On my new pair, I plan on pinching down the far end so I can't unzip it from the bottom, and it gives it a good spot to stop at. So what if I have to totally unzip to make yellow snow. :D :D

And again, for $90 and getting similar quality to the $200 - $300 suits, it's worth it. But, it doesn't float...

Rob

HAHAHA

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the input guys, keep it coming.
Rvinson how'd it go on Chambers? Live up in Loveland and was looking to try for lakers soon.
***never mind the Chambers Q lol found your report but you forgot the gps coordinates! ;D

Back to the cloths, how's it for flexibility?

I'm headed down to Gander Friday to check out what they have.

·
Registered
6,684 Posts
checkers8 said:
RVinson - Are those Sorel Apha Trac boots you"re wearing? If so, what are your thoughts. Any issues with em so far. i.e cold toes,not truly water proof, etc.

I just bought a pair last week , so I haven't got a chance to get out on the ice with them. I've always bought Sorels and have been happy with first two pair.
Actually they are not Sorel's, They are Baffin Squamish boots..

I just got them this year.(I previously had the Baffin Hawks) so i have only used them 4 times... So far I love them!! Toes have stayed warm and I actually havn't even had to use the tea bag warmers on my toes this year at all!!

The Baffin Squamish are rated to -76 F .. My old Baffin Hawks were rated to -40 F .. If i need to step it up another level next year I am gunna get the Baffin Doug Stoup rated to -148 F
[img]http://l5.zassets.com/images/z/7/8/6/786330-p-2x.jpg

·
Registered
6,684 Posts
Trout said:
The clam Gray/Black Suit will float 300 to 400 lbs. rather pricey though. I fish with a couple guys that have the gray/black clam and there only complaint is their to hot. Pretty sure Snosuit floats also but those are around $500-600. If I was to get another one I would get Artic Armour they float and I like the different colors. The most common ones are the origanal smurf blue clam and the strike master is bright ass tomato red. ;D
Are you sure that the Clam Suit floats? Pretty sure it does not unless they made changes since last year?

I may be wrong :) LOL

·
Registered
6,684 Posts
Slimer said:

Rob
Never had any problems with the zipper on my AA :) Zips both up and down and makes it really easy to make yellow snow :D

·
Registered
6,684 Posts
budroux said:
Thanks for the input guys, keep it coming.
Rvinson how'd it go on Chambers? Live up in Loveland and was looking to try for lakers soon.
***never mind the Chambers Q lol found your report but you forgot the gps coordinates! ;D

Back to the cloths, how's it for flexibility?

I'm headed down to Gander Friday to check out what they have.
Glad you saw the report :) Practically had GPS cords. LMAO

Cloth is very flexible! It's a little stiff at first but doesnt take long to loosen up.

One thing that i love about them is the knees on the bibs have an extra layer of material(Feels like bubble wrap or something in between the fabric) that keeps your knees dry and comfortable when kneeling down over a hole to site fish.

The bibs only have a couple pockets.. but the jacket makes up for that by having a ton of pockets :)

If you have any more questions feel free to ask :)

Oh yeah and By the Way.. I am NOT sponsored or benefit in any way by the promotion of this product!!(I wish LMAO)

·
Registered
16,538 Posts
Dude, the Black Carharrt 1-piece poopy suit! $150-$175. You will never be cold again.

Flexible, light, reinforced knees, lots of pockets.

It not that GHEY BRIGHT RED OR BLUE BULLSHIT EITHER- ;)

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
SLAYERFISH said:
Dude, the Black Carharrt 1-piece poopy suit! $150-$175. You will never be cold again.

agreed on the carhart stuff....i wish the legs were waterproof tho...warm even when wet though...

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
X3 for black carharts, they've kept me warm for years, (sometimes too warm) so in the spring I just use my old snowmobile gear, as far as floating goes if I go out in iffy conditions my pull sled is a floating water toy (saved my bacon at Granby more then once) and when you have a floatable with you you can afford to take chances.

·
Registered
11,176 Posts

·
Registered
4,799 Posts
RVinson said:
Trout said:
Are you sure that the Clam Suit floats? Pretty sure it does not unless they made changes since last year?

I may be wrong :) LOL
Yep your wrong the Gray Black one floats. You can find them for about 375 now actually they have been out for about 5 years. Also just noticed clam is know offering there gear in different colors which is new for this year..

·
Registered
4,799 Posts
SLAYERFISH said:

Come on man why's it have to be gay and to think you been getting your ass whipped on the ice this year by a guy in a gay red suit. ;D

1 - 20 of 25 Posts