Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There has been alot of talk about fallin through the ice lately. Presure riges warm weather and such. Just thought we needed a topic so we can share what we do for our own safety. Spikes are are probably the cheapest piece safety equip. you can buy !!!!! If yer to cheap to buy them they can easily be made. I also wear a pair of old neoprene waders. They are warm waterproof and wind proof. I dont think anyone realizes how fast hypothermia can set in. Within minutes you can loose the ability to think and act rationaly. We all could probably write a book on this. Hopefuly everyone will throw in thier two cents worth and we can all learn somthin and be safe!!!! happy holidays everyone!

·
Registered
555 Posts
Rule #1: Stay off unsafe ice! (I'm uncomfortable on anything less than 6" of solid ice). Also, I never fish lakes after they have been just barely safe and then experiece a major meltdown and are sloppy on top (like the area lakes just did). I won't touch em', until they refreeze solid.
Rule #2: Always fish with a buddy on "iffy ice". Your suggestion of ice spikes is good on slick ice (like most lakes are quite often around here. Also, they help when pulling sleds full of gear. Both buddies should have hand held ice picks coiled up where they can reach them (around the neck is a good place when walking out). It's also a good idea to have a small tire (bicycle ones work great and fits in a 5 gallon bucket) with about 50' of rope tied to it, to help others out, if they do fall through, without getting too close and having someone else wind up in the water). Also, if the ice is kinda' scarey, it never hurts to wear a life jacket while walking out, until you become familiar with the area and know what area's are safe.
Disclaimer, can you tell that I'm only comfortable on feet of ice and not merely inches??? :)
Well, that's my 2cents on that topic, be safe out there!

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
wraithR1 said:
Using a little common sense is a good start.
Throwing a whistle around your neck if you are fishing solo is good too, direct attention to yourself if you fall threw. If you are unsure about the ice drill a couple extra holes.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I like the whistle tip by ePiC .
when Im by myself I put my cell-phone (yes my wife makes me take it) in a plastic baggie and keep it in a
higher pocket of my coveralls instead of my gear bag or on the sled. if I go thru ,manage to make it to the edge but cant pull out maybe the phone would stay dry as a last resort.

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
tubby said:
I like the whistle tip by ePiC .
when Im by myself I put my cell-phone (yes my wife makes me take it) in a plastic baggie and keep it in a
higher pocket of my coveralls instead of my gear bag or on the sled. if I go thru ,manage to make it to the edge but cant pull out maybe the phone would stay dry as a last resort.
That is the first good reason to take a cell phone fishing!

Dan

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
i don't know if a phone would be much good, once you are in that freezing water i don't think that you have much time to do anything but try to get out, you only have minutes until hypo starts to set in from what i hear. i don't think i would be trying to call for help..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts